Why Does Parchment Ride Up On The Edges....grrrr

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 23 Jan 2012 , 6:41pm by MarianInFL

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 6

I just baked a 9x13 choclate cake with the Hershey perfect chocolate cake recipe and when it was baked and I when to turn it out of the pan the parchment paper had riden up on the sides casuing the top of the cake to break the crisp edge off. icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif ..I am so pissed....Isn't parchemnet supposed to prevent sticking...

What am I doing wrong?? The cake is still usable but the top edges are all rounded from breakage...

Thanks

5 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 6

Did you grease the pan before you put the parchment in? For me, that seems to hold it down flat to the pan. I always grease, then parchment, then grease again. I have never had that problem.

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 6

Perhaps make the parchment a bit smaller so it can't have a chance to go up the edge. And grease the edges and corners.

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 6

Do you have the parchment up the sides of the pan? I only put it on the bottom - and grease under and over it and do the sides well. Plus the flour. Then after baking use a knife to separate the sides.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 5:37pm
post #5 of 6

I grease all edges of the pan beforehand.I used to grease the parchment as well after I put it on but I found that white cakes were browning too much because the shortening was essentially burning into the parchment so I stopped that...I have also cut it shorter too...I guess I will have to start running a knife around...Grrr it is so maddening....Just took a cherry chip out and it was perfect....

Thanks everyone for you input!!!

MarianInFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarianInFL Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 6

I find that if I'm not paying attention when I pour my batter, sometimes I pour too close to the edge and too fast, and it pushes the parchment paper out of place.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%