What Are The Best Flavorings?

Baking By belle76 Updated 26 Jan 2012 , 5:41pm by karateka

belle76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
belle76 Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 10

I am looking to get almond and coconut flavors. I was looking to buy Lorann's emulsions, but i read a review of the coconut that wasn't very good. I want the most natural, real flavor as i can possibly get. Any suggestions? Thanks icon_smile.gif

9 replies
QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 10

I am not sure what your trying to make, but have you tried actual coconut and coconut milk?

belle76 Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 10

the coconut would be for a buttercream....so i could try coconut milk....hmmmmmm...good idea! i'll give that a try. i would like to make a chocolate almond flavor cake, so i need an almond flavor for the cake.

idreamincupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idreamincupcakes Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 9:19pm
post #4 of 10

Love the coconut milk, use it often. thumbs_up.gif

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 10

I use almond butter in my almonds cakes. For flavorings I prefer Silver Cloud. Very strong, you only need a tiny bit.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 10:01pm
post #6 of 10

Olive NAtion brand extracts are natural and taste incredible.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 10:15pm
post #7 of 10

When I can't use the flavor right from the source, ie coconut milk for coconut, I like the silver cloud extracts and those from Olive Nation.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 11:06pm
post #8 of 10

katateka brought up a good point about the source. If you cannot use a product because it will add too much liquid, reduce it. It is so easy to take even a cup of product to under 1/4 cup for concentrated flavor. Just try it and see how it works.

belle76 Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 11:36pm
post #9 of 10

ok, so here is a spin off question then. if i want a chocolate almond cake, would the texture be too weird if i were to finely chop almonds into the batter and would that give it enough flavor?? I'm going for an almond joy kind of thing. thank you sending me to silver cloud and olive nation, they both look like good products.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 5:41pm
post #10 of 10

It depends on your palate. Mine has been assessed at somewhat stunted, so I err toward more flavor. In your instance I'd add the finely chopped almonds and some pure almond extract or almond liquer. But that's me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%