Using Real Lace Or Fondant Lace With Impression Mat

Decorating By cyncamp Updated 23 Jan 2012 , 10:47pm by icer101

cyncamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cyncamp Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 13

My neighbour's daughter is giving me a lot of creative freedom with her wedding cake though she has requested lace border on the 2 of the 4 tiers. She gave me actual lace and said to use it if I wanted...but it's pure white and I don't think it will look nice with the off-white fondant. I have no experience making lace with molds or impression mats and wondered if anyone could share some tips with me? I have a few more weeks and want to practice. Thank you!

12 replies
cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 2:16am
post #2 of 13

Im not sure why she gave you real lace? But if you have a lace mat you can use that just lay it over your fondant and use your rolling pin and roll over it , it should work.Also you could use the plastic placemats that look like lace you can find them at Dollar Trees and maybe at Micheals,
Hope this helps

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 2:55am
post #3 of 13

You can make a temporary inexpensive mold or texture mat by using Model Magic and the lace. It will last a while but will eventually dry out and break. It would last until you finished the cake though.

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 2:19am
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

You can make a temporary inexpensive mold or texture mat by using Model Magic and the lace. It will last a while but will eventually dry out and break. It would last until you finished the cake though.

Where can you get Model Magic?

dsilvest Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 6:18pm
post #5 of 13

You can buy Model Magic at Michaels, Joann Fabrics, Walmart - just about anywhere that sells craft supplies. The smaller amounts come in resealable bags.

SarahBeth3 Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 13

Thank you. I've looked at Michaels and could not find any food safe putty at mine. I will try Joann's or Walmart. Thanks again.

dsilvest Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 7:26pm
post #7 of 13

Look in the children's craft area. Near the Crayola stuff.

SarahBeth3 Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 7:43pm
post #8 of 13

Oh, okay. Yeah I didn't look there at all! Is it food safe?

dsilvest Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 7:57pm
post #9 of 13

Not 100% sure. I have heard of others using it. I only make faux cakes so I don't have to worry about people eating the items that come from the molds.

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 9:15pm
post #10 of 13

if you'd like to learn how to make molds trying going to makeyourownmolds.com they have some tutorials you can watch and see if it's something you want to get into.

SarahBeth3 Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 10:10pm
post #11 of 13

Thank you for the advice, Rusti.

dsilvest Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 10:11pm
post #12 of 13

I saw a video on Yummy Arts where they made a lace mold with Model Magic.
The cake was called Lavender and Lace.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 10:47pm
post #13 of 13

Hi, please watch the video on how to make a lace mold on this site. I did. and was very pleased with my mold. I was just wanting to see if i could do it. I had bought his products at an ices convention. hth

http://www.makeyourownmolds.com/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%