Best Way To Make A Mold, Where To Get A Printer??

Decorating By Debbye27 Updated 26 Jan 2012 , 12:49am by icingimages

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 7

My brother is coming home from a long tour in Afghaniston next month....and all he wants is a drink!!

I want to make a beer cooler cake filled with sugar bottles and sugar ice- but have never worked with isomalt- I am a beginner in the cake decorating. I want to make my own molds for the bottles as well.

I have seen a lot of these cakes- and am wondering what is the best way to make the molds? Some use pourable silicone-some use a putty.... just looking for words of advice on what has worked for others.

Also...the labels.... do people actually eat the bottles? I've never seen isomalt objects before. At first I wanted to go with edible lables- but no one around here that I know of will sell edible images... I may invest in a printer- but only have 3 weeks, and don't really know where to start with getting a printer and ink- so was thinking of just putting the paper label back on the bottle... unless anyone has really good advice on where to get a printer and edible ink...b/c I know I'd use it again if I invested in one....

I'm a little nervous with this one- but very excited to try new techniques- so any advice is welcome here!!!!

6 replies
Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 7

you need to go to makeyourownmolds.com
I think there is a thread on here about it but Dominick will have everything you need and there is a tutorial for it.
Good luck

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 7

you need to go to makeyourownmolds.com
I think there is a thread on here about it but Dominick will have everything you need and there is a tutorial for it.
Good luck

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 7

thanks- will check it out tonight...

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 1:16am
post #5 of 7

I don't think they will eat the bottles, BUT they are great fun to crack over someones head, without hurting them. Made a beer cooler last year with 3 bottles and the wife of the birthday boy (man) cracked each one over someones head, was really funny as they all playacted along.,
Here is the direct link to the tutorial
http://www.makeyourownmolds.com/how-to-sugar-bottle-mold

frostedbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frostedbakery Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 6:29am
post #6 of 7

i have found edible image printers on ebay they come w the ink as well. idk how long shipping would take though. good luck!

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 12:49am
post #7 of 7

Do not buy a printer for just one print. There are many people who will print for you. WE print, just not copywritten items. There are some great people on ebay who will print and ship the image to you. Marsha Winbeckler just made a new video on making sugar bottles, here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qGxKJVxXqw4

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%