How Do I Construct This Cake, Please?

Decorating By Swede-cakes Updated 20 Jan 2012 , 2:04pm by Swede-cakes

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 3:39am
post #1 of 3

I'm trying to find a way to incorporate the look of seven tiers for a couple without having a truckload of wedding cake leftover. This cake shown here looks like a neat idea that would solve our dilemma. I realize that the smaller tiers are ribbon covered dummies, but how would this be assembled? And more importantly, could this style be done with buttercream finished tiers instead of fondant? They REALLY don't want fondant.

Thanks in advance for thoughts and advice!!
LL

2 replies
Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 4:55am
post #2 of 3

construct as you would normal cakes. Centre dowel, dowels in each of the cakes, where the seperator will sit on to support the real tier on top of the seperator.

Only problem I could foresee with buttercream, is that the seperator dummies might soak up the fat of the buttercream, where it comes in contact with the cream. Otherwise you just stack them as you would your other cakes, veeery carefully

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks, Ursula. You confirmed my hesitation on the buttercream, so I'm going to nix this idea.

I've done a LOT of leg work for this couple anyway just in the past week, trying to come up with requested alternatives to their 7-tier idea. Once they saw the prices I gave them for 7 tiers (both all cake and with decorated dummies) they realized that the Cake Boss episode they watched that inspired them was also going to cost them big time! Time to sit back and let them make a decision from what I've given them already.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%