Cheesecake Question

Baking By elaineinplane Updated 19 Jan 2012 , 8:02pm by scp1127

elaineinplane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elaineinplane Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 8:19am
post #1 of 4

Hi All,

I will be making cheesecake for a friend this weekend. Using a springform pan, how do I take it out of the bottom pan without damaging it? Should I line it with parchment paper? The last time I made cheesecake for someone else, I let her take the bottom pan (telling her I need it back), then she told me a few days later that she lost it! I don't want this to happen again. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

3 replies
noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 8:59am
post #2 of 4

use the bottom piece upside down, so there is no 'lip' for the base to sink into. Then line with parchment paper and when you release the spring form it should just slide right off and you can put it on a plate! =) hth

elaineinplane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elaineinplane Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 4

OMG! Guess I've been doing that after all! I've been baking my cheesecakes with the bottom pan upside down! icon_smile.gif Thanks for your help! I'll try lining it with parchment paper this time.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 4

I don't use the parchment because my pans are specially designed to make a perfect cheesecake and the parchment negates the use of the special bottom.

Here is another method which also helps with the firming and transporting of your cake:

After your cake is completely cool, refrigerate it as you would normally. Before your event, freeze the cake, still in its pan with the sides for at least 1/2 hour. Turn on your stove burner to high. hold the cheesecake over the burner about two inches above the element or the flame. Move the cake from side to side for 30 seconds. This method will soften the butter on the bottom just enough for a cake mover or a big spatula to slide underneath and easily separate the cake from the pan. Now your cake is ready to be covered if needed because it is firmer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%