How To Use Ganache As Base Under Fondant?

Decorating By rachelh37122 Updated 19 Jan 2012 , 2:23am by cakesrock

rachelh37122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachelh37122 Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 3

I'm making a groom's cake and the bride wants chocolate ganache or fudge for the icing but wants it covered with fondant. Do i let the ganache set and then spread like frosting or will it be too thick to work with if I let it cool? Any tips/tricks will be greatly appreciated-thanks!

2 replies
Vista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vista Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 3

I LOVE working with ganache. It is a little more time consuming, but the result is beautiful!!

Warm the ganache to a spreadable state. (you may need to do this several times in the course of icing one cake, just depends on how quickly you spread it.)
Spread as evenly and smoothly as you can get it.
Chill for about 5-10 mins.
After it is chilled use a hot knife to smooth even more.
Chill again for 5-10 mins.
Next take hot water and a pastry brush and "paint" it smooth with the hot water.
Chill again.
You are now ready to apply fondant. Brush with a little water to help the fondant adhere. Apply fondant the same way you would over buttercream.

HTH

If you have any more questions feel free to message me.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 2:23am
post #3 of 3

Hi,
Here is an excellent link:
http://www.artandappetite.com/2009/11/ganache-instead-of-buttercream/
I love using it to get a smooth finish (less sweet) and sharp corners. Spread it when it's the consistency of peanut butter. I put it in the fridge (or even freezer) to cool/set faster. Then use a hot knife to smooth- just as you would BC. But you have to work a little faster. You'll luv the results!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%