I Want To Make Those Cupcakes With The Big Tall Fluffy Icing

Baking By peacenique Updated 8 Feb 2012 , 8:18pm by Debbye27

peacenique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacenique Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 12:04am
post #1 of 15

So I have to make something for a baby shower in a couple of weeks.
I've decided on cupcakes.
I'm wondering what kind of icing is used for those big tall fluffy swirls.
You know the ones that look like the icing swirl is taller than the cupcake itself?
I don't want it to be too heavy or too sweet though. Is that asking for the impossible?
I've never tried to make those swirls before. I'm assuming you would use one of the bigger star tips...

Thank you.

14 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 1:00am
post #2 of 15

Hi

When I want to get Large?tall Swirls, I usually use a 2D Star tip or a 1M Star tip.

Maybe some of the other CCrs can help too.

HTH

Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 1:33am
post #3 of 15

I would use a buttercream. American buttercream would work best but it's really sweet. You could try a Swiss or Italian Meringue Buttercream. And just pipe it in a swirl with any large tip.

Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 15

Adding some popcorn salt to your American buttercream will help cut back on its sweetness. 1 teaspoon per 2-4 pound batch. Taste and adjust accordingly.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 11:05pm
post #5 of 15

I know what you are talking about, but just to be sure, are you talking about hi-hat cupcakes?

http://www.bakerella.com/hi-hat-cupcakes/

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 7:42am
post #6 of 15

Try using Indydebis Crisco-Based Buttercream Icing, you can never go wrong with that and use Wilton tip 1M.

http://cakecentral.com/recipe/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

Try practicing ahead of time: Practice makes perfect thumbs_up.gif

HTH and good luck icon_smile.gif

LouLou79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LouLou79 Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 8:37am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcations

Try using Indydebis Crisco-Based Buttercream Icing, you can never go wrong with that and use Wilton tip 1M.

http://cakecentral.com/recipe/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

Try practicing ahead of time: Practice makes perfect thumbs_up.gif

HTH and good luck icon_smile.gif

Totally agree, you cant beat Indydebi's bc.

Honeybees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeybees Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 10:05am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

I know what you are talking about, but just to be sure, are you talking about hi-hat cupcakes?

http://www.bakerella.com/hi-hat-cupcakes/

AnnieCahill I just went to that site you linked - OMG they look sooooooo good!
I know what I'm going to be making this weekend icon_biggrin.gif

AnnieCahill Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 12:09pm
post #9 of 15

And I also think that with that much buttercream, you should use a whipped or meringue buttercream like IMBC. Indy's is WAY too heavy for something like that. It makes my guts hurt thinking about eating all that heavy BC on a little cupcake (if I ate them, haha!).

SimplySensationalSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplySensationalSweets Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 3:00pm
post #10 of 15

I would use a 7 minute frosting...it's a very subtle flavor and you can make your swirl as big as you want with it... you can find some great recipes on allrecipes.com

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 5:04pm
post #11 of 15

One of the best frostings is the Whipped Cream Buttercream here on CC - - it's very fluffy and isn't too sweet so it doesn't overpower your cake/cupcake. And it's really good. icon_wink.gif The only thing I don't like about it is I can't get it to crust, but that's ok for cupcakes.

Mplspam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mplspam Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 9:30pm
post #12 of 15

What about the Bettercreme frosting? I buy the large pail from Sam's Club already made. It's under 20.00. Put that in a bag with a large tip and it tastes very light and not too sweet. I've also whipped chocolate ganache and just folded it in with the Bettercreme and it tastes just like chocolate ice cream.
You could even get the Bettercreme you whip yourself and add any flavor to it you want. That's always good too.

scrappinraiderfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrappinraiderfan Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 5:17pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplspam

What about the Bettercreme frosting? I buy the large pail from Sam's Club already made. It's under 20.00. Put that in a bag with a large tip and it tastes very light and not too sweet. I've also whipped chocolate ganache and just folded it in with the Bettercreme and it tastes just like chocolate ice cream.
You could even get the Bettercreme you whip yourself and add any flavor to it you want. That's always good too.

Does this crust?

AnnieCahill Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 7:54pm
post #14 of 15

No, Bettercreme doesn't crust. I personally don't like it. It's like glorified Cool Whip to me. Same texture and taste.

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 8:18pm
post #15 of 15

WOW - how is it that I have never heard of a high hat?????????? I have to make them----along with the 20 other things I want to try out!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%