Lambeth Method On The Move...

Decorating By cakedoff Updated 25 Jan 2012 , 6:48pm by nlcakelady

cakedoff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoff Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 12:23am
post #1 of 14

Okay, professionals...has anyone here done a Lambeth method (with drop lines) and moved it more than a few miles without breakage?

13 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 12:28am
post #2 of 14

Hi,

Oh Wow!! I would like to know too because I'm taking K. Lange Lambeth Class next week and I'm eager to learn. This technique looks so awesome!!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 1:41am
post #3 of 14

Yes, but only as a dummy.

This cake moved all over the East coast without any breakage.

That said, if it's going to be on real cake, it needs to be a sturdy cake on a sturdy board and when it's being transported, it needs to be done so that the board doesn't flex.

Royal icing is like concrete and when it adheres to itself or fondant, it just gets stronger.

It can be done.

Rae

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 2:07am
post #4 of 14

Wow Rae. Did you do that cake? It is very beautiful. I have never heard of this method, but I will have to look into it.

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 2:07am
post #5 of 14

Wow Rae. Did you do that cake? It is very beautiful. I have never heard of this method, but I will have to look into it.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 2:15am
post #6 of 14

Yes, I did the cake.

Rae

cakedoff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoff Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 3:13am
post #7 of 14

That dummy is beautiful. I really want to know experiences on real cakes with all of the fine drop piping. I have done them, but don't offer them freely to customers because of breakage. Anyone?

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 3:44am
post #8 of 14

That cake is off the chain!!!!! Beautiful Blakescakes.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 12:05pm
post #9 of 14

Rae, didn't know you had such awesome Lambething skillz.

I have been looking into taking a Lambeth class for a LONG time. I really need to practice my string work though. And it's been, oh, a bajillion years since I've worked with royal icing. LOL

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 4:15pm
post #10 of 14

I've moved my Lambeth cakes too. If it can make it a mile, it can make it several. Like Rae says, if it's real cake, make sure the cake and the board are very sturdy. Those style cakes are really heavy with all the over piping on them.

nlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nlcakelady Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 4:58pm
post #11 of 14

High, i was wondering if you know where I can find instructions on the Lambeth design and pans?

I have a set and this information would help a lot!

disastrophe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disastrophe Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 6:04pm
post #12 of 14

The original Joseph Lambeth books have instructions but these are now hundreds of dollars (they're out of print and William and Kate's wedding kicked up a lot of demand). Toba Garrett has some examples in her books too.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 6:20pm
post #13 of 14

This would also be a great book for anything to do with royal icing: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1905113153/?tag=cakecentral-20

nlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nlcakelady Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 6:48pm
post #14 of 14

Thanks, the pictures I see do refer to William and Katie's cake. Beautiful! I wish I had the skill. Some of the instructions I seen actually use the "pizza" pans as the base. Thanks for the advise on using a heavier cake. I love fruitcake!

I also have a set for sale, I bought an older ladies supplies and she had multiples of everything!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%