Americolor Red Has Taste

Decorating By Cakegirl74 Updated 28 Nov 2012 , 8:16pm by Cakegirl74

Cakegirl74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegirl74 Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 9:03am
post #1 of 14

I made a Captain America shield for my son's birthday and I used the Americolor Red as I was told it didn't have a taste. My son wouldn't eat any of the cake with red icing because it didn't taste good. It was the same icing over the entire cake and he normally loves it (it's a white chocolate buttercream). I tried it and I have to agree with him, it didn't taste good. Did I do something wrong? Why did it change the taste?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

13 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 11:31pm
post #2 of 14

Hi,

Did you use the Americolor Red that says "No Taste" on the bottle?

Also, when using any red coloring, I use pink as a base color first and then add red to get the red color I want. This also cuts down the red flavor too me. But that's just my opinion icon_smile.gif

HTH

Gracielicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gracielicious Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 12:10pm
post #3 of 14

Americolor Tulip Red has no taste. It is a slightly different shade of red than the Super Red but it's the taste that maters right? icon_biggrin.gif

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 1:09pm
post #4 of 14

Try Americolor Tulip Red - that's supposed to have no taste either.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 14

Did you use solid red icing to frost your cake? Or did you just layer on the red over your buttercream? I always frost my cake with regular buttercream first, harden it in the refrigerator and then layer a couple of thin layers of the highly colored buttercream over the top of that. It really helps to avoid that weird food coloring taste that can happen with the deep colors like red and black. It doesn't take much to cover the white so it saves making a huge batch of colored frosting and, like I said, you avoid the problem of taste AND the bright red (or black, etc) teeth and tongues that can happen with those types of colors.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 3:23pm
post #6 of 14

Carmijok - that's a great tip. It saves you from having to waste unused colored icing.

Gracielicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gracielicious Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 3:34pm
post #7 of 14

Great tip! Why haven't I thought of that? Thank you!

Cakegirl74 Posted 27 Nov 2012 , 7:53pm
post #8 of 14

Sorry haven't been on CakeCentral Forum in a while and I never got notifications about these responses.  Thanks so much for the advice.  I was told that the Super Red wouldn't have a taste but I'll try Tulip Red next time.  I did start with a pink base and I did a base coat of white icing problem was that I was using a star tip to fill in the red portions of a Captain America shield so there was still a lit of red icing.

Once again thanks for the advice.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 27 Nov 2012 , 9:22pm
post #9 of 14

Hmm. Sounds to me like time to get out the airbrush. (Except that my airbrush has been used with model paint, mostly solvent-based. Definitely NOT "Good Eats.")

tykesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tykesmommy Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 3:22am
post #10 of 14

AI use wilton no taste red and it truly has no nasty food coloring off taste.

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 3:24pm
post #11 of 14

Americolor Super Red tastes awful - exactly like it smells.  If something smells bad, I normally assume it will taste bad.  Especially in large amounts like it takes to get a true red.  Start with pink or use Wilton no taste red and when you have it close, finish with a small amount of Super Red. You'll end up with red and not have the bad taste.  I can't imagine why anyone ever would say that Americolor Super Red doesn't have a taste - you can smell it as soon as you open the bottle! UGH!

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 3:24pm
post #12 of 14

Carmijok - GREAT tip!  I can't wait to try that!

cakeart105 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeart105 Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 6:26pm
post #13 of 14

I made a Captain America shield for my son's 5th birthday back in April. I used Americolor Super Red and Royal Blue.

I made buttercream icing and added a few drops. No one mentioned a funny or bad taste. I ate several pieces and YUM !!

Honestly, I've never had any trouble with Americolor...

Cakegirl74 Posted 28 Nov 2012 , 8:16pm
post #14 of 14

AI've used the Wilton no taste and I found that it did in fact have a taste. I'd love to do the airbrush thing but don't currently have one. It is on my wish list though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%