Thor Cake To Do

Decorating By sweetscene Updated 28 Jan 2012 , 5:38pm by sweetscene

sweetscene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetscene Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 11:35pm
post #1 of 12

I have a Thor cake to do soon and coming up blank. The cake is going to be either 1/4 sheet or 8 " square. Cake will be buttercream with fondant accents. I'm centering a 7" edible image on the top but past that, coming up blank. I thought perhaps adding the bay boy's name on a banner on the front and using colored stripes around the sides but like the cityscape idea but not sure if that is on the Thor level like it is batman. I am thinking if using the 1/4 sheet, placing a small winged helmet and hammer on top. What other ideas do you have?

11 replies
cangela4re Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cangela4re Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 6:49am
post #2 of 12

Flames or lightning bolts....thats what i see in almost all thor pics and easy to do

sweetscene Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 1:06pm
post #3 of 12

I was thinking flames but don't really see that when I search Thor on google. Do you see that somewhere?

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 12

The Thor hammer would be good to add, and I would go with lightning bolts.....he's the god of thunder- and he uses his club hammer (my sons love superheros). You could do a hammer out of cereal treats.... and 3 D lightnig bolts on the side-if u do several layers of different colors....

Debbye27 Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 12

Oh and he's an ancient god- so city scene on outside wouldn't be the best way to go.....landscape maybe- trees and lightening??

sweetscene Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 2:33pm
post #6 of 12

Ooooh, black trees and lightning bolts on the side?! I'm liking that. I have 2 girls so I'm not up to speed on THOR, Keep the ideas coming ladies, they really help!

sweetscene Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 5:21pm
post #7 of 12

bumping this up...and an FYI - i do have a Cricut cake that i recently got, still haven't used but wondering if anyone has any ideas to go using that? anything else? Have about another week before i need to get started on this one... Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

Debbye27 Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 12

Me again icon_wink.gif
I love your idea of the black silouette trees on the side - what is the buttercream background color going to be? Unfortunately Thor is pretty boring (don't ever tell my 2 boys I said that) but he really just has that giant hammer and that wierd hat with the wings on it!
If you were to do a banner in front like you mentioned- it would look really cool if you used some type of old english font.
If it were me doing this cake...and I had access to a circut and edible images....I'd do the rectangle cake-with your edible image...and a dark red or burgandy background - with a rolling hill black landscape on the side and big bright lightening bolts, the banner in the front -looking kind of like a scroll...with old lettering. On top I'd have a fondant or cereal treat hammer, and maybe somewhere include either a fondant hat with wings, or put the wings in the front.

Now I'm clueless when it comes to girls - so maybe I'll seek you out when that time comes icon_wink.gif

AdalynL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AdalynL Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 3:22am
post #9 of 12

Since I'm a GIANT geek and I love Thor it seems fitting my first post on this forum should be me suggesting something for a Thor cake.

If you don't put Mjolnir (the hammer) on there it's blasphemy! I'd suggest a dark red cake since his cape is red, with weathered/antiqued gold accents. I'd also suggest the hammer and the helm atop them, unless you wanted to make the whole thing the hammer stuck in the rock with Odin throws it down...which would also be awesome.

The hammer has a sort of Celtic knot pattern on it -- http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-1BZRXDbYM5I/Tcdx9nxyc3I/AAAAAAAAA5U/Tq5B8ZcJKsk/s1600/IMG_6022.JPG

Also if you want to do symbols, rather than Olde English I would suggest using Nordic Runes since Thor is from Norse mythos. http://www.bardwood.com/graphics/uthark.GIF

sweetscene Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 4:47am
post #10 of 12

Debbye and adalyn- I definitely love these ideas. Little worried about the red cake due to what I've heard about taste but I have some maroon that will get me to the right color faster. Will look into those fonts too. Anytime you need a girl cake ( or Harry Potter which I just posted one, check it out!), just let me know!

sweetscene Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 1:06pm
post #11 of 12

Bumping me back up...hate that the cake ideas thread disappeared...

sweetscene Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 5:38pm
post #12 of 12

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2256679/thor-birthday-cake

well here it is. There is another angle of the tree silouette on the main page for the cake. I wasn't thrilled about the cake, but the mom absolutely loved it so that matters most. thanks for your help!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%