Fondant Draping On Buttercream Cake

Decorating By Paige1990 Updated 9 Jan 2012 , 6:08pm by KateLS

Paige1990 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paige1990 Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 2:44am
post #1 of 6

I am wanting to put fondant draping on a buttercream cake. Is this possible, or will the weight of the drapes cause them to slide off the buttercream? If I roll them really thin, use a 50/50 mix of gumpaste and fondant, and use a good adhesive, will I be able to achieve this without having to use a non edible support (skewers) to attatch the draping to the cake?

5 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 6

I've never tried this, but my instinct tells me that it would be a problem. No matter how thin you roll the fondant, it will do a number on your lovely buttercream finish, because even thin fondant is rather weighty. And, of course, as you say, slippage would probably be a problem, too, because no matter what kind of glue you use, you're still trying to glue the fondant to something relatively soft. Anybody else ever tried this?

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 6

I used drapes on on a buttercream cake. It was my first wedding cake. If you look in my pics, it was the 5 tier white w/black bands and Gerber daisies. I don't know if that is the style drape you want or not. The drapes were with Jennifer Dontz's chocolate fondant. It rolls out VERY thin so it doesn't weigh as much. Also, the drapes were only long enough to go tier to tier. I didn't have much trouble and only used water and icing to attache to the buttercream and hid the "connection" with the daisies. If this is the style you are looking for and have questions, please feel free to pm me. HTH

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 6

Wow, inspiredbymom, my hat's off to you. I would never have thought it possible to do that, but your cake is lovely!

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 5:54pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you Marianna46! I had lots of advice from Jennifer Dontz and help from my DH to put this one together. I guess I also have to say that it is Sugarshacks icing too. That stuff is amazing to work with. I only change the flavoring.

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 6:08pm
post #6 of 6

If you search "drape" in the gallery sections, you'll see quite a few people who have put them on buttercream cakes. So I think you just have to be very delicate and wait until your buttercream has crusted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%