Good Cake Supply Stores In Sw Florida?

Decorating By Pamkakor Updated 9 Jan 2012 , 6:36pm by enchantedcreations

Pamkakor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pamkakor Posted 8 Jan 2012 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 7

Hello all. I'm visiting Cape Coral, Florida for the next two months and would appreciate any advice as to where to go shopping for cake decorating supplies icon_smile.gif
I'm from Finland and we don't have a very good market there yet, so most of the time I order online from England etc. But now I'm here and ready to travel anywhere in Florida to shop!
Thanks for all replies!!
Also, does anyone know weather there are cake decorating courses available around here at rather short notice? Never taken a course, just a self taught hobby baker and any kind of short decorating course could be fun to attend.

6 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 8 Jan 2012 , 7:13pm
post #2 of 7

Hi, Pamkakor, hope you have a lovely time in Florida. I don't live there, but I can still give you a few tips. There are several chains of craft stores in the US. The ones I know of are Michael's, JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby. They all sell cake-making tools and supplies. Also, since you'll be in Florida for such a long time, I would suggest you go to online places like Global Sugar Arts (there are many others, as well) and order things to be delivered to your Florida address. They'll get there in way less than two months and the selection is vast! So, do any of our friends in Florida who have local knowledge have any better suggestions?

cangela4re Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cangela4re Posted 8 Jan 2012 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 7

If you want to take some Wilton classes, go here and type in your FL zip then call and see when the classes are available, some begin tomorrow in my area

http://www.wilton.com/classes/classlocator.cfm

CakelynsFinest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakelynsFinest Posted 8 Jan 2012 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 7

I live in Tampa and drive to Orlando to a place called D&G Occasions. It's an hour and half from me but they have such a great selection and really good prices! Love it there! You should really try it out if you're willing to drive there. Hope you have a great stay here in the states! icon_smile.gif

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 1:00am
post #5 of 7

I live near Sarasota and I agree your best bet is Orlando. D & G is good and a mail order place J E S T E R S has good prices on fondant and gum paste and americolor gels if they have them in stock. They are getting bad about stocking things, you also have to order online and either pick them up or have them mailed. Other than that Michaels and Joann Fabric are the closest places that have stuff in stock. I mostly buy from Global Sugar art online. There is a store up in Tampa but I hate the prices and won't buy from them. Gave a good trip.

Pamkakor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pamkakor Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 11:37am
post #6 of 7

Thanks so much for all your help! Will definitely check out Orlando etc. Heck, once you've crossed the Atlantic with a 5 and 2 year old, a drive like that doesn't sound bad icon_smile.gif

enchantedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedcreations Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 6:36pm
post #7 of 7

Hey there's a place called A & H in Ft. Myers..... they do on line orders only, but they will allow you to come pick up your order if you call w/ a heads up. Not sure on the time?? If you PM me, I'll look up the phone number and website for you. [email protected]

Also, there's a bakery in Ft. Myers, I'll have to rack my brain to remember the name, but they give classes... I can see the place and the road, but darn if I can't remember the name of the bakery...LOL. The lady has been to Nicholas Lodge and taken his classes; her work is really awesome. I'll work on that for you too.

Hope you enjoy Cape Coral. I use to live there. I'm now in Parrish, just up a little ways from Sarasota and Bradenton.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%