Airbrushing Gum Paste?

Decorating By Sarahdee2007 Updated 2 Jan 2012 , 5:03pm by bisbqueenb

Sarahdee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarahdee2007 Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 4

I'm just getting started making gum paste flowers today and I was wondering if I need to tint my gum paste before I start cutting or if I can airbrush them? If I can, is there a certain point in the process that will work best? Should I just stick to the powdered colors for them? Thanks for your help!

3 replies
bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 4

You can use the airbrush for a variety of DIFFERENT effects on the gumpaste flowers! You can color the paste and use the airbrush to highlight, or you can use the airbrush and build up the colors, starting with the lightest to the darkest highlights. Adding additional colors will blend and create shading as you work. Best advice is to give it a try.....you can do the whole flower after it is put together or do individual petals before assembly. You can use the shimmer sprays to give them a bit of a shine....or you can even use some of the dusts after you do the basic coloring. Making flowers all white and storing them for future use allows you to color on demand so to say! I always use up every last piece of paste when I'm making flowers and save all the extras to use for a quick cake by just adding a bit of color.

Sarahdee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarahdee2007 Posted 1 Jan 2012 , 4:59pm
post #3 of 4

Awesome! I wasn't sure since the color is a liquid and sugar and liquid don't normally like each other! I'm so glad because the couple that I tinted were getting to be such a pain! I just tried one of everything I could so I was doing one color for each one! I had good luck with the powder but when I get to my rose petals, I think I'll try out some airbrush effect! Thanks so much for responding!

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 4

"liquid and sugar and liquid don't normally like each other"
YES....that is why you always want to use LIGHT coats of liquid color and let it dry before adding more or another color! With a little trial and error, you will find the best way to get truly nice effects!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%