Baking Cheesecakes... How Long And What Temp For A 7" P

Baking By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 31 Dec 2011 , 1:13am by baldmansbakery

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all! I'd like to make a cheesecake using a 7" pan (just a small one for me and my husband) but all the recipes require a 9 or 10" pan. For a 9 or 10" pan, you bake at 325 degrees for 60 minutes... I'm just wondering if I should do the same temp and time for a 7". Does anyone know? And maybe I should do 3/4 of the recipe instead of the entire recipe? Thanks! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
baldmansbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baldmansbakery Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 5

I would make 3/4 of the recipe. Use the same temp. but it should take less time. Maybe about 40-45min. Go on the safe side and set your timer for 35min and then give your cheesecake a jiggle. The center will appear a little wobbly like set jello when it's done cooking. If it's not ready, bake an additional 5 to 8 min. and jiggle again. Have you thought about using a water bath to bake the cheesecake in? This will add substantial baking time but with a more even looking cheesecake. About 10 to 15 min. longer if you do use a water bath.

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks! I was just reading about the water bath thing, but I don't completely understand it though. Do you just put water in a cookie sheet (with the sides) and tin foil around the pan, so it doesn't get water inside?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 10:31pm
post #4 of 5

Cookie sheets aren't deep enough for a water bath; it's best to use a casserole dish or another deeper pan that can hold your cheesecake pan. And I always wrap the bottom of my springform in extra foil to stop water from seeping into the cheesecake. There's lots of theories and disagreements about why a water bath helps, but most people agree that it does help. Once I began using a waterbath, our customers began saying how our cheesecake texture was creamier.

baldmansbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baldmansbakery Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 1:13am
post #5 of 5

I always use a water bath for cheesecakes. Yes, you need to use a deeper pan. I use a roasting pan with 4" sides. The water bath will help keep the cheesecake from baking too fast on the sides and leaving the center under cooked. Without a water bath, you could end up with a cheesecake that is inconsistent in texture and the edges will souffle. Double wrap your spring form pan in heavy duty aluminum foil. Add enough water to cover about 1/2 to 2/3 the sides of your spring form pan. I also would recommend some grease-less cardboard cake disc. Place in the bottom of your spring form pan. You may have to cut to size. This makes transferring your cheesecake from the spring form pan to a cake tray a snap. The grease less cake disc will have a smooth finish and hold up quite well during baking and serving. I had to order mine from webstaurant.com.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%