Chocolate Glacage

Baking By baldmansbakery Updated 31 Dec 2011 , 1:58pm by AnnieCahill

baldmansbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baldmansbakery Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 9

Does anyone have a good recipe for chocolate glacage? I attempted to make one and it didn't seem to turn out so I used a mirror chocolate glaze instead. The glaze just doesn't seem to have the same shine or smooth finish as a glacage.

8 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 8:14pm
post #2 of 9

I was watching a video the other day with Rose L Beranbaum and her recipe contained gelatin. She said she picked up the technique in Japan. I have never made it, but here is a blog with a recipe:

http://patissierjourney.blogspot.com/2010/08/glacage-chocolate.html

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 9

Chocolate glacage recipe

The glacage needs to be made at least the day before you need it, you can store it in the fridge for up to a couple of weeks.  The entremet should be frozen for glazing and then defrosted in the fridge.

Ingredients:

20g powdered gelatin bloomed in 90g cold water
200g cream
300g sugar
90g additional water
100g cocoa powder (cocoa will effect the flavour I like to use cadburies)
250g glucose syrup

Directions:

Mix the gelatin with the cold water (90g) and set aside.

Heat the sugar, cream and remaining 90g of water until it boils.

Remove from heat, add glucose and sifted cocoa powder.

Stir in the gelatin and mix well.

Strain through a metal sieve

Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight

To use glaze melt in the microwave in 10sec bursts until reaches 28-330C

Cake or entremet to be glazed should be frozen, rub off any ice crystals. Note if you can not get it outof the bowl place the bowl in a sink of hot water to slightly melt the outermost layer- do not allow the water to go into the dessert.

Scoop and pour glaze over entremet allowing excess to drip onto a tray.

Once set transfer to serving plate and decorate.

From howtocookthat.net

baldmansbakery Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

Chocolate glacage recipe

The glacage needs to be made at least the day before you need it, you can store it in the fridge for up to a couple of weeks.  The entremet should be frozen for glazing and then defrosted in the fridge.

Ingredients:

20g powdered gelatin bloomed in 90g cold water
200g cream
300g sugar
90g additional water
100g cocoa powder (cocoa will effect the flavour I like to use cadburies)
250g glucose syrup

Directions:

Mix the gelatin with the cold water (90g) and set aside.

Heat the sugar, cream and remaining 90g of water until it boils.

Remove from heat, add glucose and sifted cocoa powder.

Stir in the gelatin and mix well.

Strain through a metal sieve

Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight

To use glaze melt in the microwave in 10sec bursts until reaches 28-330C

Cake or entremet to be glazed should be frozen, rub off any ice crystals. Note if you can not get it outof the bowl place the bowl in a sink of hot water to slightly melt the outermost layer- do not allow the water to go into the dessert.

Scoop and pour glaze over entremet allowing excess to drip onto a tray.

Once set transfer to serving plate and decorate.

From howtocookthat.net

This is the recipe I followed but I wasn't very confident in the way it turned out. I'll try it again on something simple like a sponge or pound cake.

AnnieCahill Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 12:06am
post #5 of 9

Ok well I spent all this time typing up a reply and apparently it didn't go through. I hate that. Anyway, here is a link to the video. It's a promo video from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0471781738/?tag=cakecentral-20

Recipe:

http://lilysbest.blogspot.com/2011/10/chestnut-cake-with-ganache-filling-and.html

More info:

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/1612/#16380

Good luck!

baldmansbakery Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 12:52am
post #6 of 9

Thanks AnnieCahill.

AnnieCahill Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 12:30pm
post #7 of 9

baldman (that sounds so mean, LOL),

If you try it let me know how it turns out. I am not a chocolate person but I would love to impress someone with such a pretty glazed cake!

baldmansbakery Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 1:00pm
post #8 of 9

Not mean at all. I created a group on Face book and held a naming contest. A friend of mine came up with the name 'BALD MAN's BAKERY and one a free cheesecake. This name fits me well since I'm a little light on the top of my head and I have a great sense of humor. I use this group to auction cheesecakes for local charities and fundraisers. Over the past year, I would estimate around $2000 was raised through these auctions. I made a Godiva Liqueur Chocolate Truffle Cheesecake the other day and I wanted to coat it with a chocolate glacage. Since I wasn't very confident in how it turned out, I made a mirror chocolate glaze to use instead. Not as shiny or flat as I would have liked it to be. I mad it from melted semi-sweet chocolate, heavy cream, butter and corn syrup. I think this would have turned out better if I didn't chill the cheesecake before I applied the glaze. I'll let you know how my next attempt at a glacage turns out. Right now I'm working on my fondant icing skills. Never tried it before but it should be fun.

AnnieCahill Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 1:58pm
post #9 of 9

Well I'm glad you have a good sense of humor about it. I watch a show called Curb Your Enthusiasm and your post made me think of the main character, Larry David.

That is awesome that you do a lot for charity. It is awesome to be able to do that.

I don't do a lot in fondant either but that's just because no one here likes it. Besides accent decorations or figurines I really don't use it much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%