Quick! Help! Mousse Under Fondant?

Decorating By FondantDreams Updated 30 Dec 2011 , 9:50pm by BlakesCakes

FondantDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FondantDreams Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 13

My next project is due tonight at 7:30pm for a birthday party, this woman wants a chocolate cake with chocolate mousse underneath and NOW I am finding you cannot refrigerate fondant. I'm in a panic! Am I understanding this correctly? How do people do it for weddings and it be ok? How long CAN mousse be out of the fridgerator and inside a thick cake under fondant? If for some reason I CAN fridge it it will be out no longer than 3 hours IF it last that long before it's cut into.

So, it's 2-9" hexagons on the top and both will be filled with the mousse, the bottom is a 12" round in which I am scared to tort! I may leave that one but may get brave later but anyway it will take me at least an hour to decorate then it will be another hour for me to be ready for the part and an hour driving to the party. If I cannot refridgerate it, it potentially could be out or hours and that doesn't seem OK to me.

Please advise soon, I need to get going on this cake right away! Thank you!!!!

12 replies
Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 13

I always refrigerate fondant but make sure the cake is out of the fridge 3 hours before the event. I use a packaged brand mousse called Dr.Oetker and only use 3/4 of the liquid. It holds up very well.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 13

I've refrigerated fondant several times, no issues.

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 4:02pm
post #4 of 13

If you have a humidity / moisture setting on your refrigerator set it at the lowest point and you won't have any problem putting fondant in there. I have done it with no problem, but make sure you take it out in time to soften.

Leeplaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leeplaz Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 4:13pm
post #5 of 13

If you put a fondant covered cake in the fridge , it tends to 'sweat'. icon_smile.gif
LL

CharBubble Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharBubble Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 13

Well, you're project is due tonight, so you can leave your cake in a cool, dry place. Fondant protects whatever is under it for a period of time, including buttercream and mousse, so the cake will be fine this evening.

FondantDreams Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharBubble

Well, you're project is due tonight, so you can leave your cake in a cool, dry place. Fondant protects whatever is under it for a period of time, including buttercream and mousse, so the cake will be fine this evening.

I'm about to fill it with the mouse so let's say 12pm and the party doesn't start until 7:30pm and goes until 10:30, will it still be OK for even that long? I just don't want to make anybody sick.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 5:05pm
post #8 of 13

If the party's an hour away, go ahead and finish the cake, put it in the fridge until you get ready to leave, and it should be fine by the time you get there. It would help to be in a box inside the fridge, but if that's not possible you should be ok anyway. It would be ok out of the fridge, but if you're concerned go ahead and chill it.

FondantDreams Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 5:51pm
post #9 of 13

Thank you everybody, I appreciate the help! BTW-I just noticed my last post that I typed "mouse" instead of "mousse" LOL

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 6:06pm
post #10 of 13

As long as you don't fill it with the mouse, you'll be all right. icon_smile.gif

wafawafa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wafawafa Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 6:25pm
post #11 of 13

Its ok to refrigate fondant but not freezing it

CharBubble Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharBubble Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 7:17pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FondantDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharBubble

I'm about to fill it with the mouse so let's say 12pm and the party doesn't start until 7:30pm and goes until 10:30, will it still be OK for even that long? I just don't want to make anybody sick.

Yes, it'll be fine as long as it's in a cool place.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 9:50pm
post #13 of 13

To avoid condensation on a cake (fondant or otherwise), you need to keep it from coming into contact with room air while the cake is still very cold.

You do this by boxing the cake while it's at room temp, wrapping or bagging the boxed cake, refrigerating (or freezing) it, if frozen--defrost in fridge for 24hrs., and then allowing to come to room temp while it's still wrapped. You unwrap & unbox only after it's at room temp. No condensation. Period.

I'll also go so far as to say that if you KNOW a cake will need to sit out for a very long period of time, then you plan ahead and don't use a perishable filling that needs refrigeration.
There's just no point in worrying that "something" might happen. The odds are low, but it's not worth the concern.
It's false security to think that fondant will "protect" anything. It's the increased temp in a dairy based, liquid laden filling that promotes bacterial growth. Exposure to air may increase those odds, but eliminating the air exposure doesn't eliminate the issue.
It ultimately depends on the recipe (sugar, fat, and water ratios), the methods of handling and preparation, and the room temp at which the product sits for the longest period.

As others have said, you'll probably be fine as long as the cake has been kept cool/cold.

Rae

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%