Bakers Sugar

Decorating By dollyandme Updated 30 Dec 2011 , 10:29am by karateka

dollyandme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dollyandme Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 1:49am
post #1 of 4

Can someone tell me what Bakers Sugar would be used for? I am a little confused as I never noticed this sugar before in my grocery store until today...and reading the info on it, it sounds like it can be used to replace regular granulated sugar but not powdered.

3 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 3:45am
post #2 of 4

It's also called Castor sugar. It's finer grained than granulated but bigger grained than confectioners/powdered.

SuddenlySeymour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuddenlySeymour Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 4:09am
post #3 of 4

I substitute it for regular sugar in all my cookie recipes, and I definitely think it improves the taste.

But if a recipe calls for the dough to be rolled in sugar, stick with regular (or sanding sugar, which is a little bit coarser). The bakers sugar tends to get absorbed into the dough, and you don't get the same visual effect. Just found this out the hard way last week. icon_smile.gif

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 10:29am
post #4 of 4

It's regular sugar, just finer in grain/texture. You can make some by spinning your granulated sugar in a food processor for several seconds before using it in your recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%