What Are These And Where Can I Get Them?

Decorating By livlou Updated 31 Dec 2011 , 5:53pm by allaboutcakeuk

livlou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
livlou Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 27

what are the other things sticking out of the cake with the wired stars?
can you buy these or have they made them, love this idea, looks so nice. icon_smile.gif

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cakechester/4163526853/in/set-72157622455107129

26 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by livlou

can you buy these or have they made them, love this idea, looks so nice. icon_smile.gif

I think they are a Duff product and you can get them at Michael's. I remember them being pretty expensive.

livlou Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

Quote:

I think they are a Duff product and you can get them at Michael's. I remember them being pretty expensive.

thanks for reply, im in uk. shame tho they are really nice, do you know what they are made from?

Annabakescakes Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 27

They are just wire. I would assume a food safe metal though I am not sure. You could make your own with some practice. I would use a thin straw in the cake to keep the metal from touching the cake.

Sheri_e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 6:29pm
post #6 of 27

They look like ribbon to me, although I have no idea how they got them to stand up straight and then do the gentle curve at the end. Have you sent a PM to the maker and asked her/him?

Annabakescakes Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter

They look like ribbon to me, although I have no idea how they got them to stand up straight and then do the gentle curve at the end. Have you sent a PM to the maker and asked her/him?

They are wire. Duff has his name on them. You can get them at Michael's, and other cake and craft stores.

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 7:35pm
post #8 of 27

I am sure that you can buy something similar to these from a garden centre (where they sell products for flower arranging) or from hobbycraft stores, they might only be in green but you could spray them. HTH icon_smile.gif

shanter Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 11:33pm
post #9 of 27
Quote:

Quote:

They are wire. Duff has his name on them. You can get them at Michael's, and other cake and craft stores.

I looked at everything "Duff" on Michael's web site and there is nothing there that looks to me like flat narrow satin ribbon. The wires are the ones the snowflakes are hanging from in the OP's post, but the way I read her post, she was asking about the other things. Since my Michael's is over 20 miles away, I can't just pop in for a look, so I'll just assume that you're right. I must have misunderstood the original post.

Annabakescakes Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 11:55pm
post #10 of 27
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I looked at everything "Duff" on Michael's web site and there is nothing there that looks to me like flat narrow satin ribbon. The wires are the ones the snowflakes are hanging from in the OP's post, but the way I read her post, she was asking about the other things. Since my Michael's is over 20 miles away, I can't just pop in for a look, so I'll just assume that you're right. I must have misunderstood the original post.

I wasn't seeing flat, I was seeing wire, but I looked at the other pics on there and the thingies did look flat! I have come to the conclusion that I have no idea and I am sorry icon_redface.gif Now I am thinking it may be floral thingies that I have seen in Michael's... icon_redface.gif

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 12:38am
post #11 of 27

You could contact her, and ask her. In the flicker post it shows she is from your area. She might be in a city close to you.

Good luck
thumbs_up.gif

CIAO

esq1031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esq1031 Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 12:47am
post #12 of 27

Looks like ribbon but have no idea how she would get the ribbon to do that. I love the effect. i have the duff wire and that's not it.

shanter Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 1:01am
post #13 of 27

If you'd rather not PM her, you can contact her from her web site:
http://www.cakechester.co.uk/contact-us/

shanter Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 1:04am
post #14 of 27

Whatever those things are, she uses them on lots of her cakes and giant cupcakes:
http://www.cakechester.co.uk/cake-gallery/

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 1:07am
post #15 of 27

If you find out, report back! I'd like to know too! thumbs_up.gif

livlou Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 1:34am
post #16 of 27

thanks for all you replies, i have emailed her to see if she will tell me, will report back if she replies icon_smile.gif

goodiegoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodiegoddess Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 2:17am
post #17 of 27

I have seen these before. They are made of a very thin wood, come in lots of colours and we can get them at the dollar store here.

I found a link so you can take a look........

http://www.save-on-crafts.com/redhalo.html

goodiegoddess Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 2:18am
post #18 of 27

Here they are in black and white.....

http://www.save-on-crafts.com/glittersticks.html

shanter Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 2:40am
post #19 of 27

Are those food safe?

andreamen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andreamen1 Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 3:03am
post #20 of 27

It's called bear grass you can find it on ebay

goodiegoddess Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 3:22am
post #21 of 27

I usually put a small cocktail straw into the cake before adding any wire/flowers etc, just to make sure they do not touch the cake.

monkeykisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monkeykisses Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 3:41am
post #22 of 27

It looks like a thick flat wire that we used in my daughters wedding arrangements, we got it from Joann's fabrics in the floral dept., several local florists also have this wire. Hope that helps

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 4:04am
post #23 of 27

It looks like the ribbons that they make for curly hair bows. You cut the ribbon, wrap on a dowel, spray starch and bake in oven. Take them out of oven and unwind them. Of course for this look, you would not wind them up tight on a dowel. She probably put a few inside of a straw and inserted then in the cake. This is all guesswork on my part.

Here is a link to the bows to explain how it is done.

stefkovic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stefkovic Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 4:18am
post #24 of 27

it is bear grass and to curl it you run your knife or sissors down it like you do curling ribbon, the wood sticks that some one else mentioned is called curly ting ting, i work in a floral shop and we get both in, so check with your local florist, but michaels or hobby lobby should also sell both, you need to go to the artifical floral dept.

livlou Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 12:05pm
post #25 of 27

hi all, she replied to my message with a link on her website with a how to video which cost £5. she said they are grasses, and can by them from hobby craft in the uk. icon_smile.gif

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 5:53pm
post #27 of 27
Quote:

thanks for all you replies, i have emailed her to see if she will tell me, will report back if she replies icon_smile.gif

Hi i'm from the UK and will second Lisa and the others - it's a bear grass. I've used it in the original green but they do lots of other colours. I recently used silver and put it in a pick with the wires icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%