Cricut Cake

Decorating By SarahBim Updated 28 Dec 2011 , 1:39am by tiggy2

SarahBim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBim Posted 27 Dec 2011 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 3

For Christmas this year, I was blessed to receive a Cricut Cake machine! I am so excited to give it a try! Before I pull it out and start playing around, what are some things that I need to know about working with this machine? I have read many review on people saying that they cannot get the machine to work right and don't want to be disappointed because I am doing it completely wrong. On the flip side, I have read many reviews on how so many people LOVE it and get it to work right every time. Please, any info would be greatly appreciated! Happy caking!

2 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 27 Dec 2011 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 3

Go to You Tube and search for Linda McClure of Desseret Designs. She pioneered the technique and has several tutorials and a recipe for gumpaste on You Tube. I have a couple of Cricut Cakes and a Silhouette SD and have taken Linda's basic class. Start with gum paste - it really is easier to cut and transfer onto a cake. Yes, other edible mediums work and taste better, but gum paste is easier and will make learning less stressful. Once you are comfortable with gum paste, then you can switch to other mediums. The ready-to-use gum paste from Wilton works very well if you don't have ingredients to make your own, but her recipe is a firm product that does not distort easily. Roll the paste thin, let it dry a bit, and don't worry about mistakes - you can knead the paste and re-roll with no waste.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 1:39am
post #3 of 3

The premium frosting sheets from icingimages also cut very well and are a lot easier to use since you don't have to roll them out or let them set up to dry. Linda is using them most of the time now. I print designs on them with an edible image printer then cut away.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%