Meringue Powder Vs. Egg Whites...please Help!!!

Decorating By DaphneSUE Updated 26 Dec 2011 , 9:59pm by Rusti

DaphneSUE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaphneSUE Posted 24 Dec 2011 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 8

Im needing to make some royal icing and i was wondering can i substitute the meringue powder for egg whites and if the recipe calls for 1 Tbsp meringue powder how many egg whites would that be?

Again PLEASE HELP and thanks in advance for the help...

7 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 24 Dec 2011 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 8

Meringue powder is an excellent substitute for fresh egg whites. I'm stretching my memory here, but I think for each egg white I mixed 2 tablespoons of warm water with 2 teaspoons of meringue powder.

DaphneSUE Posted 24 Dec 2011 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 8

so do you know can you still get the stiffness and rigidity from the royal icing if you use egg whites...cuz im out of meringue powder...

MimiFix Posted 24 Dec 2011 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 8

There were times I had to add more powdered sugar to get the icing extra stiff. (But once I discovered meringue powder, I never went back to fresh eggs.)

DaphneSUE Posted 24 Dec 2011 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 8

yea i would normally use the powder...but im out of it and don't have the time to get to the store...but thank you for the help

maggie1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggie1956 Posted 25 Dec 2011 , 12:14am
post #6 of 8

1/2 of powdered sugar for one egg white plus 2 drops of lemon juice.beat on high for 7 minutes to get stiff royal icing.

MimiFix Posted 25 Dec 2011 , 12:20am
post #7 of 8

Sorry, DaphneSUE, I wasn't lecturing. Just reminiscing. Look for the same consistency that you had before with the powder. Egg sizes can vary so use your judgement when adding extra sugar. Happy holidays!

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 26 Dec 2011 , 9:59pm
post #8 of 8

Try adding cream of tater with the egg white that's what is in the meringue powder besides egg whites. I add cream of tater on really humid days down here in florida and it helps a lot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%