Few Pointers On Sugar Ice And Bottles, Please :)

Decorating By bmarlow001 Updated 18 Dec 2011 , 11:33am by Aimee17

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 12:59am
post #1 of 9

I have someone asking me to make an ice chest cake for May 2012, I am very interested in making it but before I commit I want to make sure it's something I can do and do well. This person said I could stick real beer bottles in the "ice chest" but for some reason that just doesn't sit well with me. I would like to see if I can make the sugar bottles in this picture but with a different lable so if anyone has any pointers they could give me I would be greatly appreciative icon_smile.gif

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1682547/

Also, The ice...... How do some of you cakers make your ice? I saw the way Buddy did it in the one show he made the lobster cake but can't remember what it was he used.

This sugar thing will be new territory to me other than the isomalt sticks ive used so any help would be amazing!

Thank you!

8 replies
bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 4:39am
post #2 of 9

anyone????

mkmetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkmetz Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 9

You can check out a huge post on this topic from SweetResults. From what I read, you microwave 1/2 cup corn syrup and 1/2 cup sugar on high for 2 min then pour onto nonstick side of crinkled up aluminum foil. I have done this before and it worked. Then of course I go to do it this morning and the sugar doesn't set up, like I didn't heat it long enough. Trial and error I guess!

getonthemove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getonthemove Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 9

If I remember correctly, Buddy used isomalt and poured it over crushed ice, then broke it up into chunks once it was cooled.

mkmetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkmetz Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 9

I just finished my bucket of beer cake. I did not have isomalt, so I used sugar and corn syrup. I heated it in small batches-1/2 cup of each, stirred together, in a 1 cup glass measuring cup for 1 min 45 sec on high. This produced very clear looking ice. I was very happy with it. If I had more time I would have tried to figure out how long to heat a larger batch.

CarolLee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolLee Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 9

I've made several beer bottle cakes (see photos) and have not used the isomalt. I've never been able to only cook the corn syrup and sugar together for 1 minute 45 seconds. I cook mine in the micro for 3 - 4 minutes - just before the yellow stage. Pour your sugar in the beer mold and rotate until the sides are coated, wait until it cools and then pull down until it lets go. Ice - I pour the sugar/Karo over non stick Reynold's wrap that's been crumbled and let set. If you don't cook the sugar mixture long enough, it definately will melt on you later. It happened to me!

KMKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMKakes Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 8:43pm
post #7 of 9

save

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 18 Dec 2011 , 7:18am
post #8 of 9

The recipe I use for poured/pulled sugar is 1 lb sugar, 1 cup water, 1/2 cup corn syrup, and 1 tsp cream of tartar.

Boil sugar and water until it's 285, add the corn syrup and cream of tartar dissolved in a tsp of water, cook to about 300-310 without stirring after sugar is dissolved (I usually just shift the pan back and for a few times). I usually try smack in the middle. For a cracked ice look you cover a cookie sheet in crumpled aluminum foil, spray it liberally with non-stick cooking spray, and pour mixture over and leave to cool. If you want air bubbles inside the "ice" you can spritz it with vodka or clear alcohol in a spray bottle. When the sugar hits the vodka it evaporates and leaves tiny bubble trying to escape.

You can also flavor this recipe when you add the corn syrup. 1 dram of Loranns or 2 tsp of normal flavoring (can affect color if you use something not clear).

If you want ice cubes you can always buy or make a mold for hard candy and just get squares.

Aimee17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aimee17 Posted 18 Dec 2011 , 11:33am
post #9 of 9

I made the mold for the beer bottles using the tutorials on here (from makeyourownmolds.com)- its really thorough & easy to follow. I am in Australia so had to do a bit of looking around for all the bits & pcs you need but it was suprisingly easy (& exciting). I used isomalt for the bottles & the ice - which again was easy. To make the ice - i used isomalt & then poured it into ice cube trays to set - they came out easily. (I actually used different shaped icecube trays so it looked like some had melted). For my first effort on this type of thing I was pretty happy & so was the birthday boy! Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%