Starting A Small Baking Business. Need Some Advice!

Business By JAB15 Updated 14 Dec 2011 , 6:30pm by jason_kraft

JAB15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JAB15 Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 1:04am
post #1 of 6

Hello!

My friends and I are starting a small baking business. We always wondered if every bakery uses a generic recipe for their original cakes? We've used few recipes by famous chefs/bakers, but we obviously can't use it. Are we suppose to tweek it to make it our own? Many recipes are very similar. Thanks everyone!

5 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 2:59am
post #2 of 6

You can use whatever recipe you want, it doesn't matter what the source is. Just don't tell people that you invented it if you didn't, or tell them that you're baking from scratch if you're using mixes. That's just truth in advertising, though...There aren't any laws saying where your recipes have to come from!

mrsfoxxy2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsfoxxy2u Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 3:19am
post #3 of 6

I agree, you can use whatever recipe you want, just don't use the name the recipe came with if its someone else s. after awhile you will probably change a thing or two anyway...most recipes (from scratch) are basic to begin with. good luck and have fun!

AmyCozze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyCozze Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 6

I've had my business for just over a year now, and I use mix almost exclusively. I've never had a single person ask me about it, I don't claim it's my own from scratch recipe, but I also don't advertise it either. As long as it tastes good and looks pretty, people are happy.

JAB15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JAB15 Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 6:25pm
post #5 of 6

Okay, great! I'm so excited to start icon_smile.gif Thanks guys!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 6:30pm
post #6 of 6

Just make sure you have a business plan and clear legal agreements about who owns what before you start. If the business runs into trouble you could wind up losing friendships if all the participants aren't fully aware of what is at risk and share that risk equally (or proportionally based on initial investment).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%