This Is A Bad Sign, Right?

Business By karateka Updated 9 Dec 2011 , 10:41pm by Melvira

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 5:12pm
post #31 of 39

This just sucks. I'm going to come right out and say it... it sucks. I must be missing something because I didn't think she even wanted a refund! My heart hurts for you because I know how discouraged you're feeling right now. >>>supersonic hugs<<<

noosalucy, you have to excus me for being so completely off subject, but I already love you because Noosa happens to be my favorite food of all time. All I need is a truckload of it, a bathtub, and some alone time. icon_redface.gif

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 5:35pm
post #32 of 39

Thanks, Mel-

It does suck. I was so upset I baked 2 cake mix cakes and one scratch strawberry like I usually make and had a blind taste test at home. Everyone picked my cake as the best. I even cut a chunk off, refrigerated it and had them taste it stone cold, and they said it was still good. I have NO IDEA what on earth she could be griping about it being dry.

In fact, I had trouble getting the icing to adhere to the sides of the mocha tier because the cake was moist. It's happened before, I just have to mix icing with some cake crumbs and try not to drag the spatula as I ice.

I got new thermometers for my oven, and they are reading about the same as the old ones. Not to mention that I tasted the cuttings from both tiers and they were fine. I wouldn't have continued to decorate them otherwise, I'm not a complete dumbass.

I baked 2 days ahead, filled and crumb coated, covered in layers of plastic wrap and refrigerated the strawberry layer. Then decorated the day before pickup. The same exact routine I've used for EVERY SINGLE CAKE I've baked since I started this 6 yrs ago. They did say the strawberry tier was "even worse" than the mocha tier. The only possible explanation I can think of is that there was some sort of air leak in the plastic wrap while the cake was refrigerated....but I found no gaping holes or tears....

I do have repeat customers, so my baking can't be that bad! I didn't pull these recipes out of my addled brain, they are variants of published recipes and I did some painstaking research and mathematics to be sure they were accurate and correct according to baking principles.

My mom says I can't let one person make me quit, but I don't do a huge volume of business....mostly because I can't. Limited space and time....but this has been extremely discouraging.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 5:54pm
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady2266

She normally ordered from another bakery, so why change? Venue location or not, if the baker/bakery was always good, reliable or whatever most folks will go out of their way to get what they know is good. .

She probably got fired as a customer by the other bakery because she had too many complaints!

Melvira Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 7:40pm
post #34 of 39

I think costumeczar hit the nail on the head.

This wasn't you, this was her. Call it buyers remorse or what the heck ever. People figure they can get stuff free in this manner all the time. If you have one thousand people say something is good and one person say it's not... do you think it's not good, or do you think maybe that one person has different taste or whatever?

This has absolutely nothing to do with this particular situation, but just a note on human nature. My aunt is rich. I mean, she has three cadillacs, an in-ground olympic size swimming pool, diamonds dripping from her fingers, the whole nine yards. (Yet she's still a misserable bitch on the inside becasue money is her God.) But, she goes to dinner buffets with wads of ziplock bags in her mostly empty purse... and I think you see where this is going. There is always going to be someone who wants something for nothing, whether they can afford it or not. To some people, this is a game. It's like extreme couponing except she really made you feel like crap. Thats the part that makes me so damn mad. That she managed to put you in a tailspin like that.

Chin up or I'll go all angry sensei on your butt and do a little wax on-wax off with a vat of buttercream!! Watch yourself woman... I know cake-fu! icon_lol.gif

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 7:58pm
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

I think costumeczar hit the nail on the head.

This wasn't you, this was her. Call it buyers remorse or what the heck ever. People figure they can get stuff free in this manner all the time. If you have one thousand people say something is good and one person say it's not... do you think it's not good, or do you think maybe that one person has different taste or whatever?

This has absolutely nothing to do with this particular situation, but just a note on human nature. My aunt is rich. I mean, she has three cadillacs, an in-ground olympic size swimming pool, diamonds dripping from her fingers, the whole nine yards. (Yet she's still a misserable bitch on the inside becasue money is her God.) But, she goes to dinner buffets with wads of ziplock bags in her mostly empty purse... and I think you see where this is going. There is always going to be someone who wants something for nothing, whether they can afford it or not. To some people, this is a game. It's like extreme couponing except she really made you feel like crap. Thats the part that makes me so damn mad. That she managed to put you in a tailspin like that.

Chin up or I'll go all angry sensei on your butt and do a little wax on-wax off with a vat of buttercream!! Watch yourself woman... I know cake-fu! icon_lol.gif

Mel....you know I love you, right? You have this incredible gift of making anybody feel better at any time. I hope someday I'm able to be there for you like you always have been for me.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 8:38pm
post #36 of 39

Bravo, Melvira!! Why, oh why, didn't they include a thumbs up button when they re-formatted the site?

Melvira Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 8:50pm
post #37 of 39

Cripes, Stace, you've listened to me cry a river about enough junk... you earned it! icon_lol.gif And thank you Anna for your sweet comment. But I think they still have the thumbs up... at least I see it when I'm typing here... let me try it.

thumbs_up.gif

Is he up there?

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 10:08pm
post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Cripes, Stace, you've listened to me cry a river about enough junk... you earned it! icon_lol.gif And thank you Anna for your sweet comment. But I think they still have the thumbs up... at least I see it when I'm typing here... let me try it.

thumbs_up.gif

Is he up there?

I meant like on Facebook! I bet you'd have a couple thousand on that last one.

Melvira Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 10:41pm
post #39 of 39

Oh! Hahahahaha! You guys know I'm a natural blonde, right? dunce.gif

That would've been a good idea though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%