Flower Petal Border For Tinkerbell Cake

Decorating By Susmita Updated 7 Dec 2011 , 8:30am by soozicake

Susmita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susmita Posted 3 Dec 2011 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 7

I have a request for a Tinkerbell cake (see link) and I need some thoughts on how best to do the pink petals on the bottom border of the cake. They appear to be gumpaste/fondant, but I can't quite tell if they are attached to the sides or the cake is "sitting" in them. I'm also considering using silk flowers, but I think I'd still have to spray those with some glue or something to get them to all curve in the same direction. Any suggestions? My main concern is attaching them, it looks like the petals are tucked under the cake. It's going to be 10" and 6" tiers, probably about 4-5 inches tall.

Thanks!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49146265@N00/4044969451/#DiscussPhoto

6 replies
cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 3 Dec 2011 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 7

Hi! I would consider making the petals out of modelling chocolate and frilling the edges and then curving them over a dowel or small rolling pin to let them set up. I would then attach them with melted chocolate as it looks like they are directly attached to the cake. It's a beautiful cake! Good luck!

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 4 Dec 2011 , 5:04am
post #3 of 7

Hi susmita.... I am pretty sure, the petals are paste all around the cake after the cake is on the board. For instance you can very well tell that the green ones on top were dried before being applied, because the bottom edge of the green petals do not "hug" around the cake like you see on the bottom border. Choose a petal size, ruffle the edges , apply it, and curve it as you go along you can put something underneath like a cotton ball to form it. ( I would make the petals 50/50 gum paste/fondant). HTH. (Petals overlap)
GOOD LUCK! thumbs_up.gif

CIAO

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 4 Dec 2011 , 12:30pm
post #4 of 7

When I made a very similar cake, I made all of the flower petals on the bottom as well as the grass leaves and the purple flower petals under the topper from a fondant/gumpaste mix and left them to dry (supported in flower formers and with aluminum foil balls) for a couple of days prior to attaching them to the cake with a small dot of melted candy melts. It's just like making gumpaste flowers, but don't glue them together.

Susmita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susmita Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for all the advice. The client canceled the request for the cake after I quoted her a price. They all want cheap cakes icon_smile.gif

Lili5768 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lili5768 Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 12:55am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susmita

Thanks for all the advice. The client canceled the request for the cake after I quoted her a price. They all want cheap cakes icon_smile.gif

icon_sad.gif Sorry! Nowadays you get a lot of that. Clients want the 'wow' factor of a wow cake but at supermarket prices! I don't sell cakes but my girlfriend does, and it's been happening a lot and she has lowered her prices!

soozicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soozicake Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 8:30am
post #7 of 7

Wouldn't it be nice if you could make those tightwads go through the entire process of cake decorating? All the way, from buying the ingredients to slaving away for hours to create the flawless huge masterpiece they expected you to produce for a few coins in a couple of hours? Bet they would pay double...or triple!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%