Poor Cake Now Living In My Trash Can

Decorating By jamieq Updated 1 Dec 2011 , 4:09pm by ShandraB

jamieq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamieq Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 5

I did it. I had my first major cake disaster. The cakes stuck to the bottom of my pans... all of them. I thought I did a heck of a job salvaging them, I at least could still work with them. After they had cooled and been wrapped for a day, my leveler wouldn't cut through them very well. I mean they were ripping these poor cakes apart!! Again, after grunting and a few explitives, I got them torted. I get them filled and stacked... only to find that I freaking "filled" the bloody top of my cake!!! WTH?? I am frantically scraping my filling off of the top, thinking I can just cover with an extra thick coat of dirty icing.

SO... I am trying to crumb coat the sides of the cake, and the icing starts tearing the sides all up from the cruddy torte job. I think I am getting somewhere, when the icing just starts plopping off of the sides, RAHHHRRRR!! I just picked the whole bugger up and chucked it in the stupid trash can. I guess in hindsight... I should have at least made some cake pops. LOL! Well... if there is a lesson here, it is THANK GOD I STARTED EARLY!!!! I learned time is valuable... and if you screw up everything... having an extra day to crank out new cakes is PRICELESS!!

4 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 1 Dec 2011 , 2:50am
post #2 of 5

I understand. I have gone through this many times. When I tell my mom about all the cakes that have ended up in the trash, she always gets upset and tells me I should save it for her.

But really, sometimes I get mad at the cakes and they just need to take a time out in the trash. LOL

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 1 Dec 2011 , 6:05am
post #3 of 5

I'm sure this is how trifles began. They say it was to use leftover cake, but I think it started with a frustrated baker centuries ago. Fire went out, cake stuck to baking vessel, dog got it (or worse), it fell on the floor. Same problems, different century. Don't throw it away. Your family can still enjoy it.

jamieq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamieq Posted 1 Dec 2011 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 5

I put this in "Cake Disasters" and it ended up in "Cake Decorating"... LOL!! No one should be taking any of THAT as decorating advice!! HA HA HA HA HA!!

You ladies made me smile... thanks for that! I am so grateful that my re-do cakes not only slid fabulously out of the pan... but they torted beautifully!! Wheew!!

**sigh** all that wonderful yummy cake... icon_cry.gif

ShandraB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShandraB Posted 1 Dec 2011 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

But really, sometimes I get mad at the cakes and they just need to take a time out in the trash. LOL

LOVE IT! I have had a couple of cakes hit the trash too, but I think I am probably the one that needed the time out. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%