Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Baking By Tinarie Updated 24 Nov 2011 , 1:32am by icer101

Tinarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinarie Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 10:30pm
post #1 of 6

Hello. I have just made swiss meringue for the second time. I made it once before and have just made it again. However I am now concerned with the raw egg whites. I did warm the egg whites to almost hot. Do you think that is enough heat to get rid of bacteria? I am more concerned this time I guess because of feeding a large crowd. I have not had an issue before. I always heat the egg mixture until it's close to hot. Please respond. Thanksicon_smile.gif

5 replies
CarolinaGirlAsh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaGirlAsh Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 6

If the eggs were pasteurized then you should theoretically be ok. I always use the pastuerized egg whites that come in a carton in the dairy case and then heat the egg mixture until it reqches 140-150 F. HTH.

Tinarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinarie Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 11:30pm
post #3 of 6

No the egg whites did not come out of a box. I did heat them to a little over 145. I have a giant double batch too. Hmmmmmm.

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 11:35pm
post #4 of 6

All the recipes say that if you heat the egg whites to 140 or over, that they are fine, so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

njusaguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
njusaguy Posted 24 Nov 2011 , 12:25am
post #5 of 6

FDA recommends that some meats are OK at 140 degrees, but egg should be 160.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Nov 2011 , 1:32am
post #6 of 6

I also use the pasteurized whites in the carton. So much easier and makes great smbc. I use to crack the eggs, took a lot of time, then i would make fmbc with the yolks. lotta work, but so good!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%