Traveling With Gumpaste Flowers

Decorating By Smore4us Updated 20 Nov 2011 , 11:52pm by flapper

Smore4us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smore4us Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 2

I will be making my nephew's wedding cake this summer, but he lives in Chicago, while I'm in FL. I'm not completely sure of the design, but I believe gumpaste flowers are likely. I'd like to be able to make the flowers in advance and then fly up with them. Does anyone have any advice on what I'll need for packing them? Could I check them with other baggage or will it be better to keep with me as a carry on?
Thanks in advance!!

1 reply
flapper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flapper Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 2

Years ago I made a cake for my nieces wedding in Ontario when I was living in British Columbia. I took the gumpaste flowers with me, but had the airline put them in the cargo area of the plane. I packed them in a box, and used massive amounts of paper towelling and toilet paper to cushion them. I used the paper towelling to build a pillow in the base of the box. I would them place down one layer of flowers and using toilet paper, support each lower petal by placing the paper underneath each petal separately. Then I built up a cushy layer around each flower and overtop of it. Depending on the size of your box, you can place a number of flowers in one layer. If you're going to need to add another layer, place a separator cushy layer of bunched up of bunched up toilet paper on top of the first layer and add your second layer. The idea is to bunch up your toilet paper and stuff the box with it in and around each flower so that they won't touch each other or the sides of the box, and won't move around when the box is being handled. At the airport, tell them the box is extremely fragile and have them tag the box with FRAGILE stickers. My flowers all arrived safe and sound. I did, however take along a little bit of gumpaste, appropriate cutter etc., just in case.

Sorry for the long description, but I hope it makes sense. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%