As A Hobby Baker/decorator What Flavors...

Decorating By weidertm24 Updated 22 Nov 2011 , 5:44am by artmojo1975

weidertm24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weidertm24 Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 10:30pm
post #1 of 13

What flavors do you offer as a hobby baker/decorator. I only do two varations of wasc chocolate/white and a red velvet. And I'm not so good at fillings, I have a fudge and a caramel filling I can make. As well as frostings, I only have the basics, buttercream, chocolate buttercream and cream cheese frosting...

What do you offer..?

12 replies
Periperi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Periperi Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 13

There are so many flavors you can do, even if all you use is just the wasc cakes. Lemon, coconut, pumpkin spice, really the sky is the limit on those puppies. For fillings I like to offer, lemon curd, lime curd, peanut butter, nutella, flavored buttercreams, ganache, raspberry, and strawberry. I pretty much tell people that if they can think of it, I can pretty much make it.

madcobbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madcobbler Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 13

White, butter, chocolate, lemon, carrot, red velvet, and marble would be cake flavors most likely to be ordered. For fillings strawberry, lemon, raspberry, bavarian cream, and chocolate. You can just have white buttercream, chocolate buttercream, and cream cheese. You can do variations with the white buttercream or cream cheese icing with lemon, almond, or vanilla extract. Or try adding some white chocolate into your buttercream. The chocolate buttercream can be varied with the addition of mint or almond extract or espresso.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 12:00am
post #4 of 13

I keep pretty basic....white, yellow, chocolate, marble, lemon, strawberry. I also offer a number of fillings to go with these.

I really like Henry and Henry fruit fillings. Very good and don't need refrigeration.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 12:37am
post #5 of 13

I'm also a hobby baker, and I pretty much tell my friends and family to come up with a flavor of cake they want, and I'll figure out how to make it. This has lead to requests like s'mores cake, margarita/strawberry margarita, strawberry cake with chocolate covered strawberry filling, etc. They usually just ask for dark chocolate cake with marshmallow filling (oreo filing recipe from cc w/o oreos).

My most used fillings are marshmallow, buttercream mixed various seedless jam and lemon or lime curd
I usually just use american buttercream (I salivate over brown sugar smbc but no one else in my family does! icon_sad.gif ) or occasionally cooked flour frosting.

weidertm24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weidertm24 Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 4:32am
post #6 of 13

I'm just horrible with fillings like strawberry/raspberry. The first time I used one was a DISASTER and the cake basically fell apart. So pretty much I'm scared to use them. Are there other variations for fruit fillings other than like "jelly" type? I feel like the cake just slid around.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 5:48am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by weidertm24

I'm just horrible with fillings like strawberry/raspberry. The first time I used one was a DISASTER and the cake basically fell apart. So pretty much I'm scared to use them. Are there other variations for fruit fillings other than like "jelly" type? I feel like the cake just slid around.

It probably wasn't the filling, but the lack of a super-stiff buttercream dam that allowed the cake layers to "slide" around. It has taken me nearly 2 years to get the whole tort/filling/super-stiff dam/settling/no bulge issue mostly ironed out. Whew......

I don't usually "take" orders. Mostly I just volunteer to make a cake for this or that. When I make a cake to donate (school staff, neighbors, fire station, convalescent home staff, police station, etc.), I get to decide the flavor/filling/design.

My extended family is easy: chocolate or lemon. lemon or chocolate. lemon. chocolate. Chocolate buttercream filling, or lemon sleeve filling. (yeah, really exciting.......)

For all my other cakes, I've been very fortunate to end up with the following flavors (mostly doctored Duncan Hines) that I use for cakes and cupcakes:

The Cake Mix Doctor's Sour Cream White Cake (this is almost infinitely variable with flavoring additions/substitutions/fillings. It is perfect for 3-D, stacking, carving, tasting, eating! My most used recipe by far.)

The Cake Mix Doctor's Sour Cream Chocolate Cake (Darned Good Chocolate Cake without the chocolate chips). VERY dense, moist cake. 180 degrees from a box mix chocolate cake taste/texture. I get raves on this one.

Blake's Cakes Doctored Red Velvet (THE BEST RV. It actually has a subtle, unique flavor unlike every other scratch or doctored RV I've ever tasted.)
1 Duncan Hines Red Velvet Cake Mix
1 box white chocolate (hard to find) or chocolate instant pudding mix
4 eggs
1/2 c. sour cream
1/2 c. buttermilk
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract

BlakesCakes: Hand mix all ingredients until incorporated and then mix on medium with a hand mixer for 1:30 to 2:00 minutes. Bake at 325 until a toothpick comes out clean. The cake is tasty and sturdy. I often ice with a 50/50 mixture of homemade buttercream and canned cream cheese icing so that the cake can stay at room temp for long periods.

Lemon (you all knew that was coming....)
LEMON POPPYSEED CAKE:
1 box Duncan Hines lemon cake mix
4 oz. (1 box) Lemon instant pudding
1 cup lemonade
4 large eggs
1/3 cup oil
1 Tablespoon poppy seed

Carrot [I add 1 cup of grated carrots ]
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/carrot-cake-iv/Detail.aspx

My version of the Sprinkles Salty Caramel cupcake and frosting (OMG--GOOD!!! I will gladly share my recipe with all of you.
http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=155496&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

...........and in the next week I'll be trying a recipe for Pumpkin Spice cake that BobWonderBuns recommended. Here's the link to the recipe. (It better be good! I ordered 12 boxes of instant pumpkin spice pudding!)
Posted by DeniseNH: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/pumpkin-spice-cake/

I love sleeve fillings: raspberry, strawberry, lemon, Bavarian Cream, apricot (I've tried Vanilla Creme and Chocolate Creme and they were yucky. Everything else is terrific so far.)

I'll also use buttercream as filling or Dulce de Leche canned caramel (see the link to the faux Sprinkles Salty Caramel recipe above for info on the caramel).

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 5:52am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by weidertm24

You must not be putting a buttercream dam around your cake to keep the filling from oozing. Just pipe around the top of your cake a stiff BC dam and then fill with your fruit filling or whatever. The BC keeps the filling in and 'glues' the second layer to the first. Also, if I want to make sure it doesn't slide, just in case, I will put a center dowel in. Even on just a regular layer cake. And if you keep your cakes cold before delivery, they transport much easier. Just deliver it in plenty of time to let it come to room temperature before cutting. I use fruit fillings, curds, whipped ganache. The BC dam will save you!

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 12:21am
post #9 of 13

I pretty much tell them if they can dream it up, I can make it up, lol. Goes for cake and filling, as well as buttercream flavors. Usually they will pick the cake flavor and leave the rest up to me.

~Chelle

artmojo1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artmojo1975 Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 3:14am
post #10 of 13

I am a home baker too. When I started I would give clients a list of cake flavors and filing flavors to choose from. After repeatedly being ask things like "what would suggest" or "what combinations are your favorite" I created a flavor combination list with a name for each combination which has worked great. Its easy to choose from and if any creative clients want to make changes or create their own, they still have that option. Feel free to take a look at my list on my Facebook page www.facebook.com/marcottecakes
Experiment with flavors using cupcakes, cut them in half and fill a few with each filing flavor. Give them to family and friends to try. I had tons of fun coming up with my flavor combos. Happy caking!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 5:16am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by artmojo1975

I am a home baker too. When I started I would give clients a list of cake flavors and filing flavors to choose from. After repeatedly being ask things like "what would suggest" or "what combinations are your favorite" I created a flavor combination list with a name for each combination which has worked great. Its easy to choose from and if any creative clients want to make changes or create their own, they still have that option. Feel free to take a look at my list on my Facebook page www.facebook.com/marcottecakes
Experiment with flavors using cupcakes, cut them in half and fill a few with each filing flavor. Give them to family and friends to try. I had tons of fun coming up with my flavor combos. Happy caking!

Thank you for sharing your flavor combo list! That was fabulous and so well presented. I really liked your butter cream dragon cupcakes!

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 8:47pm
post #12 of 13

I offer over 40 different cake flavors and fillings.

www.cakesbychristina.net

Have you tried the sleeve fillings? They work great! They last forever not opened and 6 months in the fridge once opened. All my customers love them. I use all the sleeves but cream cheese. I think the cream cheese one is horrible. I make my own cream cheese filling.

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/searchresults.aspx?Description=fillings

If the above link is blocked just google "sleeve fillings for cakes". The local cake decorating store and party store by me sells them, so I don't have to pay for shipping.

artmojo1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artmojo1975 Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 5:44am
post #13 of 13

I almost forgot to give you my simple pastry cream recipe. You can flavor this with real fruit/flavor or any extract you want. I use this as a base for lots of my fillings and it is so simple and so yummy. It says to strain it but I never do, as long as you don't stop stirring no lumps will form.
SIMPLE PASTRY CREAM
Ingredients
2 cups milk
1/2 cup white sugar
1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise or 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (added after cream if removed from heat)
6 egg yolks
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 pinch salt
Directions
1. Place the milk, half the sugar and the vanilla bean in a saucepan over medium heat.
2. Combine the egg yolks and the remaining sugar in a bowl and whisk until light in color. Add in the flour and the salt, mix to combine.
3. When the milk just begins to boil, remove from heat and remove vanilla bean. Very slowly dribble the hot milk into the yolk mixture, stirring all the time. When about half of the milk has been added, place all of the yolk mixture into the saucepan over medium heat. Using a spatula or a whisk, mix the pastry cream as it heats, making sure to reach all of the corners of the pan when you stir. Bring the mixture to a boil. Let boil for about 1 minute, stirring constantly. The mixture will be thick.
4. Remove from heat and add the butter and flavor extract if chosen. Strain if you wish for a smoother cream. Place into a bowl and cover directly with plastic wrap to stop a skin from forming on the cream. Chill and use within a few days.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%