Glass For Bottom Of Cake?

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 19 Nov 2011 , 5:28am by step0nmi

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 2:08am
post #1 of 4

I have a friend that wants to get the look of the vases with lights in them holding up the cake, with a glass piece on the bottom. I am thinking I may need at least a 12" or 14" piece! Is it glass that these cakes use? where to get them? is it expensive?

TIA icon_lol.gif

3 replies
Jenise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenise Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 3:45am
post #2 of 4

Because my husband owns a glass company, I use glass all the time for the bases of my cakes. Depending on the size of your cake (# of teirs) you can safely put most cakes on 1/4" glass. Call your local glass company and tell them the size you want, expect to pay anywhere between 5-8 dollars a square foot with a seamed edge. If you get any special edging, it will be extra and most people won't be looking at that. hth

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 3:59am
post #3 of 4

Check thrift store for old microwave turntables. I've picked up several in both square and round shapes.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 5:28am
post #4 of 4

thanks Janise! you make it sound like it won't be that expensive...which is good. the cake will obviously have some more support under it because there will be 4 glass vases holding the cake up as well.

cheatize, i don't think i want to use something like that for a wedding cake...but thanks for the suggestion

Quote by @%username% on %date%