Favorite Candy Melts?

Baking By newb2 Updated 28 Dec 2011 , 2:34am by icer101

newb2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newb2 Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 20

I'm sure this has been discussed but I'm having a hard time finding it. As far as quality goes what are your favorite candy melts to use? I'm planning on using them for covered oreos and cake balls. If you order them on line where have you found the best prices. One last question, are CK melts the same as merckens? tia.

19 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 20

I'm pretty sure that the CK melts are Merckens. And there's a HUGE sale on right now!

cakeballsofi10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeballsofi10 Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 12:23am
post #3 of 20

HI newb2, I hope it's ok posting my answer that isn't about candy melts. I use choc and white bark for mine. And they taste delicious. And love how the bark dries and leaves a nice hard shell. Never used Merckens. Good luck.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 12:37am
post #4 of 20

I use Merckens. When I'm dipping cookies, cake pops, pretzels, etc. into chocolate melts I add real chocolate chips. It seems to add a significant flavor boost.

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 2:17am
post #5 of 20

I use Merkens for cookies. I have used Wilton's candy melts for writing on cakes and sometimes for cookies for the neighbor's kids! : )

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 2:42am
post #6 of 20

I use Guittard A'Peels in white and dark chocolate. I haven't tried Merckens because I am able to purchase the Guittard at wholesale pricing. The Guittard handles beautifully and tastes fabulous!

I do NOT like working with Wilton candy melts unless I need a small amount of color. Wilton simply does not melt/thin properly.

SnLSweetEscapes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SnLSweetEscapes Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 3:03am
post #7 of 20

Where is the sale on CK Melts Leah_s?

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 3:09am
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

I use Guittard A'Peels in white and dark chocolate. I haven't tried Merckens because I am able to purchase the Guittard at wholesale pricing. The Guittard handles beautifully and tastes fabulous!

I do NOT like working with Wilton candy melts unless I need a small amount of color. Wilton simply does not melt/thin properly.

So agree on the Wilton melts. I have to use a lot of oil to thin out!

I love Guittard. I used it exclusively at work.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 4:14am
post #9 of 20

Yes, the CK melts are merkens. I,d like to know where the sale is also. tia

Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 4:15am
post #10 of 20

I would love to know where you guys buy merckens icon_smile.gif

TIA

leah_s Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 1:13pm
post #11 of 20

The sale on the CK melts is right there on their landing page.

Special Announcements:

CK Book Sale...reduced pricing on select books...login to see pricing

Early "BLACK FRIDAY" ...login to see brochure & pricing

CK Confectionery Coating Sale! <<---------------------------------------

Apti Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 5:48pm
post #12 of 20

Thanks Leah_S. I went there but was looking for "Merckens".

Unfortunately, I cannot purchase from that site because I do not have a business license and do not meet their Account Requirements.

https://www.ckproducts.com/home.asp

"CK Products is a wholesale distributor of cake decorating and candy making supplies and accessories.
Because we sell to businesses only, you'll need to submit an account application and be approved before being able to view wholesale prices and place orders.
Please read the account requirements and business information below to see if you qualify.

ACCOUNT REQUIREMENTS
1. Tax Number/Vendor License (a copy to be e-mailed to [email protected] or faxed to 800-837-2686)
2. Minimum Order $125/Non-USA $500"

leah_s Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 7:00pm
post #13 of 20

Yes, they are a wholesaler. And for the record, CK Confectionery Coating = Merckens.

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 1:03pm
post #14 of 20

Chocoley.com has BadaBing candy melts that are wonderful to work with.

leah_s Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 1:21pm
post #15 of 20

I looked at the Badda Bing and nearly fell out of my chair at the price. I don't think I could make any money using it.

huskerfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
huskerfan Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 2:02pm
post #16 of 20

Love the Guittard. Get mine at Gygi.com.

Apti Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 3:28pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerfan

Love the Guittard. Get mine at Gygi.com.

The price at Gygi.com for 25 lbs. of Guittard Dark A'Peels is only a few dollars more than I pay at a local bakery supply warehouse (not a store, a full-on warehouse). I'm very fortunate to have a local source so I don't have to pay for shipping.

Even with the Gygi.com shipping, the price for a 25 lb. box Guittard Dark A'Peels, and $18.80 shipping comes out to $3.36 a pound. That's not a bad price for hobby bakers who don't have a wholesale license.

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 1:24am
post #18 of 20

For those who use the almond bark white chocolate: how do you thin it!!?? I tried to cover cake pops using that last week (I let my kids do the cake pops--I usually use the almond bark white chocolate for my ganache crumb coat), and it was so thick it didn't cover well!

cakeballsofi10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeballsofi10 Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 2:04am
post #19 of 20

To thin out my bark, I use shortening. 1 tsp at a time. Hope that helps. NO OIL. I used it and it kept the choc from hardening. Made it very soft unless you like soft coating.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 2:34am
post #20 of 20

Jennifer Dontz sells the CK (merkens) disk. SugarDelights.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%