How Do I Adapt The Sylvia Weinstock Recipe To New Flavours?

Baking By Heather_bakes Updated 17 Nov 2011 , 4:19am by Heather_bakes

Heather_bakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heather_bakes Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 1:59am
post #1 of 3

So far the Sylvia Weinstock classic yellow cake is by far my favorite cake recipe. I have adapted it to make chocolate by replacing some flour with cocoa and it was amazing. I replaced the sour cream for pumpkin and added spice and got a great pumpkin cake.

I would love to have just one go to recipe that I adapt to different flavours. But what do I do if the flavour is a liquid? Can I replace the sour cream with a liquid? i.e. with apple cider to make apple spice cake.

Any ideas how to make this into red velvet?

2 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 2:35am
post #2 of 3

You could use apple butter in part with the sour cream to make the apple spice cake. As I recall she had milk in her recipe, along with the sour cream, is that right? If so, you can take out 1 TBSP milk and add 1 TBSP flavoring (extracts) to the milk to get the same amount of liquid. You could also use the LorAnn oils which are far more concentrated but pack a wallop of flavor. As for the Red Velvet, don't let Sylvia hear you say that -- she told me she would NEVER make a Red Velvet cake -- too much food coloring! icon_biggrin.gif

Heather_bakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heather_bakes Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 4:19am
post #3 of 3

apple butter is a great idea! I even have some that I made recently in my fridge but I had not thought of it. Thank you!!
There is no milk in the recipe I use which is what is causing some of my difficulty icon_sad.gif
All that red dye in red velvet is definitely gross but I have a friend who is getting married and really wants red velvet cupcakes for her wedding. I have an oil recipe I have used before but the SW recipe is better so I was hoping to adapt it to red velvet. Don't tell on me lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%