Stupid Question :)

Baking By lrlt2000 Updated 17 Nov 2011 , 4:53pm by carolinagirlcakes

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 14

Do you use a paddle or whip attachment for cake batter? I've always used a whip, but now I'm thinking maybe a paddle would make more sense. Not that I have an air bubble problem because even though I use the whip, I don't technically whip the batter icon_smile.gif

13 replies
cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 14

I use the paddle attachment.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 14

The paddle is used for mixing batters.

The dough hook for kneading doughs.
The whip for whipping egg whites or cream.

carolinagirlcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinagirlcakes Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 14

So do you like or use the paddle attachment that has the scrapper edges on it?

I have one and loved it but it torn up really quick icon_sad.gif

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 14

I have a Cuisinart 7 quart and hate it because the attachments never get to the edges. . . HATE IT!!!!! Maybe I'll buy one of the paddles with scrapers icon_wink.gif

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 11:28pm
post #6 of 14

Paddle, but I don't have a beater blade. I just scrape it down with a spatula.

rpaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rpaige Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 12:13am
post #7 of 14

I just bought a new Kitchenaid on craigslist - never used and it works beautifully. I'm so excited! Which attachment do you use for mixing bc properly? Thanks!

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 12:19am
post #8 of 14

The paddle attachment is for creaming ingredients - for doughs and batters, such as cakes you don't want air in and cookies.

The whip attachment is for incorporating air into something - some scratch cakes need the whip attachment such as sponge cakes, roulades, and angel food.

For IMBC, and SMBC I always use the whip attachment. For "American Buttercream" (powdered sugar and shortening/butter) you would use the paddle or paddle first and then whip (differing opinions on this).

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 12:20am
post #9 of 14

I do not have the paddle with the scraper. Personally I think it's silly.

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 12:48am
post #10 of 14

I love my Beater Blade! I won't not have one again. But to the original question - paddle for batter.

carolinagirlcakes Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 12:50am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaG21

I love my Beater Blade! I won't not have one again. But to the original question - paddle for batter.

Which beater blade do you have? I loved mine but after like 3 mths of use it started to seperate from the paddle. When do you use yours, for batter, frosting, etc?

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 6:45am
post #12 of 14

The beater blade is a terrific time-saver. It keeps you from having to stop the mixer and scrape the sides.

For those of you who are having trouble, did you adjust the bowl to make it fit properly. I have on on all three of my mixers and even though I use them hard, they look like the day I got them.

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 4:26pm
post #13 of 14

I've bought the Beater Blade brand. I agree with SCP1127 you need to adjust your bowl. I use my beater blade for most everything except my buttercream which is a merigune buttercream and of course to beat egg whites and cream! I haven't had problems with the rubber breaking down. You should look into the warranty.

carolinagirlcakes Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 4:53pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaG21

I've bought the Beater Blade brand. I agree with SCP1127 you need to adjust your bowl. I use my beater blade for most everything except my buttercream which is a merigune buttercream and of course to beat egg whites and cream! I haven't had problems with the rubber breaking down. You should look into the warranty.

Yeah I will double check the adjustments and I have been meaning to call about the warranty but never make time for it, lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%