Wedding Etiquette

Baking By socosweets Updated 10 Nov 2011 , 12:06am by cathyscakes

socosweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
socosweets Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 7

I have been baking cupcakes for about 8 months now so everything is new to me and I like to come on here to ask the advice of others who have more experience than me.

I dont do many weddings in fact I have only done one and I have one on this Friday. Both weddings I have been invited to stay for the wedding. The first wedding I didnt I polietly declined and this wedding on Friday I was planning on just heading to the reception place setting up the cupcakes and then leaving. My thinking is the wedding is for their family and friends.

Is it rude to not stay and attend or am I making the right decision?

6 replies
aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 7

No, you don't need to stay unless it's your family or friends.

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 7

I've been invited in the past. I just politly thank them for the thought, but tell them I have a very busy day/evening already. I wish them well and hope they have a great night.

Leauna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leauna Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 7

Are you serving cakes or cupcakes? It may be that they are wanting you to stay so that you can serve the cake, in which case you would want to charge for your time and service. If they are just trying to be nice in asking you to stay then I would decline if it is not your family or friends wedding.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 7

Shoot no, I never stayed at the wedding, unless I was an invited guests, meaning I had received a paper invitation via mail. The best thing about being a cake vendor is that you're in the "drop and run" category. Set up as early as you can and go home and put your feet up.

socosweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
socosweets Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 11:39pm
post #6 of 7

It has been cupcakes for both weddings. Im glad to hear I was not being rude by just setting up the cupcakes and going on my way. Thanks for the response!!

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 12:06am
post #7 of 7

This happens to me all of the time, I do the cake and then they feel like they have to invite me, when I know I wouldn't have been invited. They are friends of mine, but not close friends, and I know how expensive weddings can be, so they are probably happy that I decline.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%