Is Anyone Buying The New Cookbook From Georgetown Cupcake?

Baking By Osgirl Updated 16 Nov 2011 , 2:49am by thin4life

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 5:40am
post #31 of 39

You all can laugh, but they say people see their mom and yell out, "Hi, Mommy". They are genius. People like to know the people they do business with and customers love their mom. Those women know how to market. Like it or not, they are the ones with the lines around the block. And their original plan was for a small bakery. Since then, they have grown their business in a smart, profitable path.

They bake 10,000 cupcakes per day. I'm sure that small batch quality gets lost, but the recipes look like their originals.

Noobz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Noobz Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 9:15pm
post #32 of 39

Yup, who need integrity when you sell 10,00000000000 cupcakes a second! This line of thought that people/business cannot be criticised for frankly foolish behaviour because of the popularity of set up TV shows or because of the financial success they appear to have is dangerous. I certainly wouldn't sell my self respect for all the cupcake orders in the world icon_cool.gif fair play if you wan't to though. Whatever floats your boat.

scp1127 Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 9:40pm
post #33 of 39

Wow Noobs, attacking their integrity? The community seems to like them and their show is renewed so people are watching. I think they are being themselves. You may not like them but they have built an honest business through hard work. Where do you get from anywhere that they have no integrity?

Noobs, the number one issue that keeps a business from growing is for the owner to do it all themselves. This is the basic economic concept behind employment and most economic systems. With that comes some loss of quality control from the owner in every business at this stage. At 10,000 a day and 200 employees in three years of business, the product is still at a level that they are growing as a business and have strong repeat customers.

I look at all of these shows for the genius that got them there. My background is marketing and the process fascinates me. Another thing that they do well is branding. The key to learning from any business is to look at what they do well and see what key elements you can adapt to your business.

Maybe they wouldn't be your best friends, but they have a lot to offer in advice for an aspiring baker who wants to have a business. They used their savings and worked hard. They were educated in business and they had a viable plan, good credit, and guts.

A long time ago in a first year economics class, a statement stuck, and I remember it 25 years later: Profit is the reward for a risk taken. I think it's profound if you want to be in business for yourself.

Some top universities are now offering a business degree with an emphasis in entrepreneurship. It's nice to see that in this economy and the bleak job outlook even for grads, they can have the opportunity to create their job, like so many of us have done.

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 11:53pm
post #34 of 39

Well said, SCP icon_lol.gif

I also have their book and I actually like it. I will try to give their show another shot, though....

A number of my coworkers are those people that stand in those long lines for their cupcakes!

scp1127 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 1:55am
post #35 of 39

Thanks, tigachu. I thought this would be one of those times I got blasted.

Buddy's show has really veered away from the serious aspects, but as I stated earlier, he has information in his book that has actually made me money. GT Cupcake has a lighter approach, but it's a great message with some solid recipes.

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 2:26am
post #36 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Wow Noobs, attacking their integrity? The community seems to like them and their show is renewed so people are watching. I think they are being themselves. You may not like them but they have built an honest business through hard work. Where do you get from anywhere that they have no integrity?

Noobs, the number one issue that keeps a business from growing is for the owner to do it all themselves. This is the basic economic concept behind employment and most economic systems. With that comes some loss of quality control from the owner in every business at this stage. At 10,000 a day and 200 employees in three years of business, the product is still at a level that they are growing as a business and have strong repeat customers.

I look at all of these shows for the genius that got them there. My background is marketing and the process fascinates me. Another thing that they do well is branding. The key to learning from any business is to look at what they do well and see what key elements you can adapt to your business.

Maybe they wouldn't be your best friends, but they have a lot to offer in advice for an aspiring baker who wants to have a business. They used their savings and worked hard. They were educated in business and they had a viable plan, good credit, and guts.

A long time ago in a first year economics class, a statement stuck, and I remember it 25 years later: Profit is the reward for a risk taken. I think it's profound if you want to be in business for yourself.

Some top universities are now offering a business degree with an emphasis in entrepreneurship. It's nice to see that in this economy and the bleak job outlook even for grads, they can have the opportunity to create their job, like so many of us have done.

Well Said!

Btrfly578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Btrfly578 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 2:26am
post #37 of 39

I think I need to get Buddy's book. I am so ready to start my own business, but unsure of where to start.

scp1127 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 2:46am
post #38 of 39

Gesine Bullock-Prado has a great memoir, My Life From Scratch. She is the sister of Sandra Bullock and she left Hollywood to open a small bakery in Vermont.

I'll give you all an example of a super-time-saving point in Buddy's book. Buddy's dad walked by him one day and asked, "What are you doing with your other hand?". How many times I have been aware since then that I need to use both hands? If I'm moving cookies, I no longer hold the pan with one hand. I use both hands and am aware of it daily. Just like I think of Indydebi when I get that piece of wax paper out to keep my work surface clean. If you are constantly aware of using both hands, the time savings is significant. Buddy also taught a lesson on how to handle a 24 inch pastry bag. I started watching for examples on the show and now I'm a master at it. What a time-saver that has turned out to be. MimiFix, a CC member and author, taught me how to transfer all of my quick bread recipes to 13 x 9 or larger pans to serve a crowd. I can torte and fill them, cut them in squares and have them ready in much less than half the time in a form that is neater for a crowd. I have about six offerings on my site and they sell better than the loaves. Thanks to Mimi.

So before you blast one of these successful bakeries, look at what will make you money or make your life easier and you may just like those bakers after all.

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 2:49am
post #39 of 39

scp1127, you are such a sweetheart, thanks so much for sharing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%