Kopykake Or Cricuit?

Decorating By wernie Updated 11 Nov 2011 , 10:54pm by linedancer

wernie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wernie Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 3:54am
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone,

Looking to get one of these for Christmas and wanted an opinion. I know that they are totally different machines, but I am debating between the two. I have been doing a lot of cupcakes lately, plus doing more cookies (RI decorated). I do more cakes when I have time, but it's harder for me in Australia because I prefer making my own fondant and it's hard to get marshmallows here! Additionally, I don't like the fact of having to pay quite a bit of $ for the cartridges each time I need/want a new one with Cricuit. So overall I am leaning towards the KopyKake. Does anyone have any thoughts/opinions on which is a better choice or specific opinions on either machine?

6 replies
linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 12:22pm
post #2 of 7

If you really want a die cutting machine, look at the Silhouette Cameo. You do not have to buy cartridges for it and it has a print and cut feature where you can print an image then the machine will cut around it exactly.

http://silhouetteamerica.com/silhouetteCameo.aspx

I can not find on their website if they ship to Australia, but if you are interested, their customer service is very good.

kristinescakesny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristinescakesny Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 1:31pm
post #3 of 7

I hated my cricut. Go for the Kopykaake.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 7

It really depends on what you think you will use. I really think you could spend your money on better things. I'd never use a KopyKake (you are talking about the projection machine right??). I might use the cricut, but honestly... there's nothing you can't do with patience and a craft knife, and I'd take the suggestion to look into the Sillhouette. The Cricut requires the cartidges and I believe they have made it so you can't jail break them to use the Makes the Cut software anymore, but don't quote me on that. I'd spend the money on gumpaste flower supplies or something I'd use more.

If you want to make your own fondant, you don't need marshmallows. There are tons of fondant recipes that don't require them at all. On this site there is a recipe called Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant... it is an excellent recipe and what I used to use before I had to start buying fondant. I just go through way to much to make it all. You used unflavored gelatin in place of the marshmallows (which are basically gelatin, corn syrup, and sugar).

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by linedancer

If you really want a die cutting machine, look at the Silhouette Cameo. You do not have to buy cartridges for it and it has a print and cut feature where you can print an image then the machine will cut around it exactly.

http://silhouetteamerica.com/silhouetteCameo.aspx

I can not find on their website if they ship to Australia, but if you are interested, their customer service is very good.

I also recommend the silhouette over the cricut. I believe Linda McClure ships internationally and she developed a blade for the silhouette specifically for food products (the blades that come with the silhouette won't work with fondnt/gunpaste). Check out her website for info deseret designs dot com.

Sunshine0063 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine0063 Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 7

linedancer, with the silhouette cameo does it print pictures in color like an edible image and then cut out the image. I'm not real computer savy is it easy to use and where do you find images. cricut sells the cartridges. can you use it with fondant / gumpaste.

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 10:54pm
post #7 of 7

Sunshine0063 - The Cameo is not a printer, you need a printer dedicated to edible ink in order to print edible images. Debbie at Icing Images is a great source for info and products. Once they are printed properly with the registration marks, the Cameo will cut them out on what ever cutting line you indicate.

It is not hard to use, but you do need computer knowledge. The Studio software is more user friendly than some of the other software, having said that it is a robust program that can do over and above the print and cut.

I have Printshop 23 and use lots of clip art from that. You can also find plenty of free clip art on the net, you can use about anything, but be careful of copyright issues, in other words, leave Disney and such alone, there are many threads on here about it.

You can cut gumfpaste on it, as tiggy suggested, contact Linda McClure for that. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%