Fur

Decorating By melonball Updated 5 Nov 2011 , 5:28pm by melonball

melonball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melonball Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 9:24am
post #1 of 11

Yesterday at Cake International there were several cake in the competitions that had very realistic fur.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150523111182519&set=a.10150523106757519.473616.675427518&type=3&theater

This was one of the best.

How on earth do you do fur like that??

10 replies
Jknoxcake2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jknoxcake2011 Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 10:46am
post #2 of 11

Fine tipped round with pull out icing? ( if so, long and tedios)... I don't know but it sure looked awesome, I want to know too.

Isacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Isacake Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 12:51pm
post #3 of 11

I would guess a grass tip, with sturdy icing. If I had to try something like this, I would first paint the desing of the face on the tiger, and them pipe over the template I made with a grass tip. Not sure it's the way to go though!

tcbalgord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcbalgord Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 1:10pm
post #4 of 11

The grass tip is amazing for this! At my "real" job I use it for fur, weird under sea thing and so much more! I don'y think it has to be sturdy icing, because we use Rich's bettercream and IMO it isn't sturdy, yet my creations hold up really well. If you are looking for fondant fur, the best I have tried in taking that weird "spaghetti" type thing from a play-doh set and then pushing it through and cut to desired length. ( Gosh I love play-doh tools, bought new of course just for cake stuff).

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 1:35pm
post #5 of 11

Holy carpal tunnel! That cake is amazing but it would have killed me.

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 2:31pm
post #6 of 11

That is incredible.
I'm wondering how they got the matte look to it!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 2:57pm
post #7 of 11

That's one of the best tiger cakes I've ever seen. Beautiful work!!

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 3:17pm
post #8 of 11

I am totally awe-struck. I don't see how, even with a grass tip, the little hairs can be drawn out so thinly, "pointy" at the tips like real hair. And then to do it over and over and over....! Incredible.

CakesByTheSugarCains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByTheSugarCains Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 3:21pm
post #9 of 11

Someone has a LOT of patience to do that cake!! It is AMAZING!!

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 5:02pm
post #10 of 11

Wow! Thanks for sharing that, it's incredible! I looked at it bc I am making a panda head cake today and have been going back and forth between a super-smooth buttercream or a grasstip fur! I don't think my wrist can take the piping! But I really enjoyed that tiger picture!

melonball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melonball Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 5:28pm
post #11 of 11

Don't know if it is the picture but I'm not sure that it is a grass tip, only because the fur was very very fine life-like quality.
Can you use a grass tip and get it that fine?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%