Topsy Turvy Covered In Bc Or Fondant?

Decorating By Emajin_nation Updated 4 Nov 2011 , 10:48pm by JGMB

Emajin_nation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emajin_nation Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 20

I've been lurking for quite awhile and finally decided to join, yet again icon_smile.gif

My question is Can a topsy turvy cake be covered in BC and still have the smooth appearance that it has with Fondant.

I'm thinking of covering the cake in BC and using Fondant accents.

Any suggestions would help me greatly.

I've attempting covering a cake in fondant several times, and the results were not favorable.

KT

19 replies
LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 20

You can cover a topsy turvy cake with buttercream, but for stability issues I would always choose to cover with ganache and then fondant.

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 20

I agree with Lisa - ganache and then fondant. I haven't tried one in BC yet, but the ganache and fondant together works great for me.

Karen

Emajin_nation Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 20

So you would cover in Ganache and Fondant? Why not BC and Fondant?

My thought was if I didn't do BC only, my next option would be BC and Fondant.

BARBARAJEAN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BARBARAJEAN Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 7:29pm
post #5 of 20

Edna (toneedna on here) does her topsy turvy in butter cream. They are fabulous. It can be done. Don't look at me I have never done one.

BARBARAJEAN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BARBARAJEAN Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 7:34pm
post #6 of 20

Sorry it is tonedna. I added too many e's. Look at her topsy turvy tutorial.
http://cakecentral.com/articles/6/how-to-make-a-topsy-turvy-whimsical-cake

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 7:43pm
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARBARAJEAN

Edna (toneedna on here) does her topsy turvy in butter cream. They are fabulous. It can be done. Don't look at me I have never done one.

She buttercreamed that cake in the link, then it's covered in fondant.

MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 7:53pm
post #8 of 20

My first Topsy Turvy was covered in buttercream. It's not great because I am not a pro at smoothing buttercream (although I get better with every cake) but it's here http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2020563

Basically I carved the bottom (didn't slope the sides enough but cut a decent hunk out on the top to set the second tier in and to get that angle thing going. I frosted the bottom with butter cream and smoothed.

I carved the middle, stacked it on top of bottom, buttercream iced it and added fondant stripes.

Then I set the top and covered with piped jumbo dots, let them crust and smoothed them out a little, I wanted a textured appearance like a bumpy sweater kind of thing.

I did wait a little long before I put the M on the front of the bottom so the icing was too crusted and the M kinda sunk into it.

I dislike fondant covered cakes because I dislike fondant taste and I bake for taste, the decoration is just as they say "icing on the cake".

Hope that helps... Happy Baking.

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 7:53pm
post #9 of 20

If you haven't done a topsy turvy before, I'd suggest at least using ganache with fondant accents for your first. It really does help with the stability.

Emajin_nation Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 8:01pm
post #10 of 20

Thank you everyone for the replies.. I'm off to look up some ganache recipes because this is my first time creating a topsy turvy.

KT

Emajin_nation Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 8:13pm
post #11 of 20

Just wanted to add that I'm making a 12, 9, and 6 inch topsy turvy cake, the filling will be variations of flavored BC. I am using the boba straws as my support with the one dowel thru all tiers.

Would I still do a crumb coat of BC, then ganache then fondant?

First time using ganache as well, so I just wanted to double check.

KT

LisaPeps Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 8:14pm
post #12 of 20

For the ganache you use 2 parts (dark choc): 1 cream (in the US I believe it's called heavy whipping cream, it's different in the uk where I'm from). You have to measure it eg 400g choc: 200ml cream, if you do it in cups the ratio is wrong. For milk and white choc the ratio is 3:1.

Using ganache is purely so you have the stability and the sharp edges. And the chocolatey goodness :p

LisaPeps Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 8:18pm
post #13 of 20

I don't ever crumb coat with buttercream. Just ganache.

This video is part 1 of 3 of working with ganache. Very useful videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFtm8q4m4Bk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 9:24pm
post #14 of 20
calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 9:25pm
post #15 of 20

I bought two of the TT cake pans. I hope to ice in buttercream, but to use melted chocolate to glue the tiers together. Royal will not work since it can't dry well. I will not carve a hole.

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 9:59pm
post #16 of 20

I've done topsy turvy in buttercream, it came out smooth and looked like fondant. No crumb coating, no ganache I did use fondant accents.

Emajin_nation Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 10:00pm
post #17 of 20

Thank you again everyone for your help!!!

I created cakes for over 12 years, and took 3 years off, and now I'm being requested to make my the cake for niece's babyshower, its the first child of my nieces and nephews and I want to make it very special.

So I've taken the great task to create an Alice in Wonderland topsy turvy cake (at her request). So I GREATLY appreciate your responses, I know that you didn't have to offer your thoughts.

Again thank you,

I just may go back in the cake business after this. (I sold all my supplies when I stopped 3 years ago, and now I have to repurchase all my supplies)
icon_sad.gif
KT

Emajin_nation Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 10:08pm
post #18 of 20

CakeLady.. did you transport the cake? How did it hold up with BC and Fondant accents?

My only concern is once I cut the cutout.. it leaves a few inches around the top of the cake.. and I'm thinking that the fondant covering that would make it more durable.

It would be great to hear your thoughts.
KT

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 10:32pm
post #19 of 20

Emajin_nation, the customers picked up these cakes and they made it without a hitch. They all carried them in their laps. I did the same putty knife and foam roller method I do for regular cakes. I didn't cut the top side, so all the outside crust is in tact. I cut the underside where the layers join with icing (I know that was a confusing explanation). That way I didn't tear it apart icing it. PM me if you have any questions, I'll be happy to help.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 10:48pm
post #20 of 20

I've only ever done one topsy-turvy, and it was all BC. It turned out fine and transported well. I just wish I'd have remembered to slant the top of the top tier!!!! Oh, well, it was just for my own daughter. It's the Mardi Gras cake in my gallery.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%