Ganache Separating

Baking By sweet56pooh Updated 4 Nov 2011 , 5:30am by sweet56pooh

sweet56pooh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet56pooh Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 2:40am
post #1 of 7

hi! So, I've heard that if you over heat your cream the chocolate can separate in the ganache. I made some dark chocolate ganache and some white chocolate ganache this morning. I let it to set at room temperature for a few hours. When I went to check on it, the WC had set nicely, but the DC was still runny and had separated. (1/4" of butter sitting on top of the chocolate.) Is there a way to save it or do I have to start over? If I can't use it, what can I do with this runny ganache? I was thinking of using it to make a chocolate BC. Is that possible? Thanks for your time!

6 replies
FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 2:44am
post #2 of 7

You can try and bring it back together by using an emulsion blender or food processor and a very small amount of heavy cream. As long as you didn't overcook your chocolate, then it should come back together.

Good luck!

princesscris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscris Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 2:45am
post #3 of 7

Hi Sweet53Pooh

Sometimes stirring in some cool cream can save split ganache...

Good luck!

Cris.

sweet56pooh Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 2:52am
post #4 of 7

Thanks! I will try that!

sweet56pooh Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 3:01am
post #5 of 7

Like a tablespoon or teaspoon a a time?

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 3:15am
post #6 of 7

teaspoon

sweet56pooh Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 5:30am
post #7 of 7

OMG! Thank you so much for that tip! I added some cool cream and whisked it and let it sit. It's been couple of hours and it has thicken up a bit, but I'm afraid its still a little soft. It's not quite peanut butter consistency. Could I add melted chocolate to help thicken it up? I'm using this to put under fondant for my first topsy turvy cake, so I need it to be a good consistency. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%