A Filing That Doest Bulge Out!!??

Decorating By prettycupcake Updated 4 Nov 2011 , 5:26pm by imagenthatnj

prettycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycupcake Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 11

I have the biggest issues with filling in a cake without it bulging out from the sides..What am I doing wrong?? Does anyone have a good recipe for a nice firm butter cream/cream cheese filling??(these are the ones I use most.

10 replies
KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 11

The secret is to create a frosting dam around the outside which holds in the filling. You just take the frosting you usually use and add powdered sugar to it so it's so thick it it's almost fondant firmness. Pipe it out using the coupler but no tip.

Here's a link to show what I'm saying.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/filling-cake-layers.cfm
(notice it says medium consistency.....for mine, I need thick. So try and see what works for you.)

Hope that helps!! (I even use frosting dams when I use strawberry fillings!)

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 11:56am
post #3 of 11

^ haha...oh dear. Sorry KateLS, there for a minute I was thinking you were a bit loopy for highlighting random words like that...then I realised it's advertising. Haven't seen that on here before. icon_rolleyes.gif Bit annoying.

Anyway, on to your question, Prettycupcake. I would suggest you try ganache...no bulging issues with that whatsoever, and no need to allow settling time with it. Just make sure you use the correct consistency (you want it spreadable...kind of the consistency of smooth peanut butter).

KateLS Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 2:03pm
post #4 of 11

??? I don't have or see any advertising links attached to my post. However, I, too have noticed random words highlighted on other's entries that have taken me to random advertising sites. I think it's a problem with cake central, not my post.

KateLS Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 2:12pm
post #5 of 11

And I'm guessing that you're using your phone to view it, because that's the only time I see those weird links. I don't see them when I'm on my computer.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 2:30pm
post #6 of 11

I agree with KateLS - you pipe a damn of thicker buttercream around the perimeter of your cake. Then put the filling inside that. You can use any type of filling and it won't leak. You also have to crumb coat once your layers are all put together. This acts like an extra sealer. Use a crusting buttercream or ganache.

The weird underlining is happening with my computer as well. It seems so random....

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 3:01pm
post #7 of 11

prettycupcake~~Do NOT despair! I firmly believe that every single new decorator in the world struggles with problem!!!! T It took me a full year and a half to get it right. AAAAAGH!

As the others have said, you MUST make a SUPER-STIFF dam of buttercream around the edge. I put mine about 1/4" inside the edge so if I have to trim the outside edges to make the whole tier uniform, then I'm not cutting off my dam.

Cream cheese icing is probably NOT going to make a good icing dam because it is too soft. Use medium consistency buttercream, slop about a cup into a separate bowl, and slop in powdered sugar. Stir. Keep doing this until it looks and feels exactly like a newly opened container of Play-Doh. Then load it in a piping bag with a coupler (NO TIP) and make your dam just like the Wilton instructions on the link from KatelS. You will have to squeeze your piping bag really, really hard because the dam icing is so thick, but persevere.

I made an absolutely PERFECT cake by using the method above. It was my biggest cake so far, a 14" round. I torted each layer, put a dam and filling and ended up with:

1" of cake, 1/4" filling, 1" of cake, 1/4" of filling, 1" of cake, 1/4" of filling, 1" of cake. NO BULGES!!!!!!

Here's a photo of my cakes with NO bulges (the 14" is the blue cake):
http://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/pictures/341#337

----------------

Now...about those very annoying green, underlined random words. This was done ON PURPOSE by the owners of CakeCentral to generate ad revenue. They will continue to use this horrible method of advertising unless we all send them an email and beg them to stop. There have been multiple posts by unhappy CC'rs about this issue.

You can disable the ads by clicking on the Question Mark in the upper right corner. Then click on the disable tab, then click Disable. You will have to repeat this EVERY time you clear your cookies.

KateLS Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 3:19pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

I put mine about 1/4" inside the edge so if I have to trim the outside edges to make the whole tier uniform, then I'm not cutting off my dam.

hahaha....True, true!! I have actually made that exact mistake!! Cut my dam right out and had my strawberry filling oozing out..... LoL

Good thing we learn from these things. I still make so many mistakes, but then I'm that much better afterward. =)

And, Apti, thank you for the annoying link explanation. Glad to have someone tell that it's not my fault. =)

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 3:43pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

I put mine about 1/4" inside the edge so if I have to trim the outside edges to make the whole tier uniform, then I'm not cutting off my dam.

hahaha....True, true!! I have actually made that exact mistake!! Cut my dam right out and had my strawberry filling oozing out..... LoL

Good thing we learn from these things. I still make so many mistakes, but then I'm that much better afterward. =)

And, Apti, thank you for the annoying link explanation. Glad to have someone tell that it's not my fault. =)

I was actually exaggerating when I said I "do it wrong once, then get it right the second time". I'll fess up.....sometimes I do it wrong LOTS of times, then get it right. (Usually there is cursing involved.)

I just posted a suggestion to the CC members to notify CC that we do not like this new type of ad. It tells you how to notify CC that you find these ads annoying.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-7229875.html#7229875

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 3:52pm
post #10 of 11

I have nothing else to contribute to the original OP's question, but about the ads you are all talking about, I see zero of that. Get Firefox and instal the Ad Blocker ad-in and you will not see another ad, sidebar or pop-up again. I had to load this topic on Microsoft Explorer (which I never use) to even see what you are all talking about!

I think Google Chrome has a similar feature, but I am not sure about that.

CC also has zero control over the advertisements that appear on the site. We all learned this when one of the advertisements several months ago was loading a trojan virus on everyone's PC. It took weeks for them to figure it out and fix it.

Jen

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 5:26pm
post #11 of 11

About the annoying ads, there was this thread where Heath posted solutions and explanations.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-7216844.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%