Ball Cake Supports, Fondant Help

Decorating By alicialee Updated 2 Nov 2011 , 8:54pm by allaboutcakeuk

alicialee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicialee Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 3

When placing a 6" ball cake(wilton sports ball pan), covered in fondant, atop a 4" tall, 6"round cake, iced in buttercream, do I need supports? and if so, how and what would I use??? thank you so much!

Also does anyone have any tips on how to cover the 6" ball cake in fondant? I've never done it before!

2 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 3

When you stack, always support. Always.

I've never covered a ball in fondant before, but I would imagine it's like covering a round cake. You'll have to do some adjusting. icon_smile.gif

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicialee

When placing a 6" ball cake(wilton sports ball pan), covered in fondant, atop a 4" tall, 6"round cake, iced in buttercream, do I need supports? and if so, how and what would I use??? thank you so much!

Also does anyone have any tips on how to cover the 6" ball cake in fondant? I've never done it before!

I'll second the other poster - always support. I did a ball before for a disco ball. It was tough going I have to say but just try to ease out the folds as much as possible at the base. I also used another piece of fondant to smooth it rather than a smoother and then kept smoothing with the palms of my hands. I found a smoother useless. HTH and good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%