Tilting Turntable Question

Decorating By tsal Updated 2 Nov 2011 , 8:53pm by allaboutcakeuk

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 12

This might be a dumb question, but how does the cake not slide right off when the turntable is tilted? I always put my cakes on a cardboard round before decorating, and I'm wondering how the cardboard would stay put and not slide right off the turntable. I realize that the surface is non-skid, but I'm still a little nervous about it.

I'm considering purchasing one as I will be piping some scrolls and I understand that it will be much easier for me if I can tilt the cake.

11 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 6:03pm
post #2 of 12

You can use extra non-skid material on top, but you can also do the same on your regular turntable and prop it up with a book or something.

You can find many negative reviews in the forums from lots of disappointed cakers about this product.

tsal Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 12

I will use a binder covered in non-skid material first then and see how that works before considering the turntable then!

RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 12

I had bought the wilton tilted turn table and was really disappointed, it was not steady at all. I returned it.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 1:06am
post #5 of 12

I have the "new" Wilton Utra Tilting Turntable and I love it. The surface is VERY skid-proof and it spins very smoothly.

Rae

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 1:37am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I have the "new" Wilton Utra Tilting Turntable and I love it. The surface is VERY skid-proof and it spins very smoothly.

Rae

How do you tell the new one from the old one? Do you know if the new one is in the hobby stores yet?

RheaCakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RheaCakeQueen Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 1:48am
post #7 of 12

I personally have the old Wilton tiling turntable and I love it. I wouldn't put a tiered cake on it or anything, but I have never had any problems with stability with single tiers. I use the tilt all the time with no problem either, never had a cake slide off or anything. I remember once noticing that a particular filling/cake combo wasn't as stable and it seemed like it might start sliding, so I chilled it really well and then tilted and piped away with no ill effects.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 5:33am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeFLL

Quote:

Rae

How do you tell the new one from the old one? Do you know if the new one is in the hobby stores yet?

Yes, the new one--the Tilt-N-Turn Ultra Cake Turntable--is in the stores. It retails for $79.99 vs. $69.99 the retail cost of the "old" one.

Its features include:
Non-slip soft grip design molded into plate surface securely keeps cake in place.
Tilting mechanism provides 18 different secure plate positions, with large push button for easy plate adjustment.
Top plate smoothly rotates in either direction for left- or right-hand use, locking into place when desired.
5 in. high, durable construction with balanced base weight and non-slip feet to keep turntable in place

You can see them here:
http://search.wilton.com/?q=turntable

I have the "old" one and never felt that it was stable enough, weighted enough, or enough options for various angles.

Rae

gidgetdoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetdoescakes Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 6:18am
post #9 of 12

wiltons has a rubber like material which keeps things from sliding...if I ever have something thats trying to go I put rug hold material beneath and that works....can't remember having to do that with that turntable though

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 7:12am
post #10 of 12
Quote:

Rae

At the San Diego Cake Club meeting last month one of the members did a demonstration with the new Ultra that Rae is talking about. There were about 30 VERY experienced cakers present, and although we were all pretty skeptical, by the time the demonstration cake was finished, we were all believers. (It WAS a little scary at times, though!)

p.s. I buy rolls of that rubberized shelf paper and slap it under everything! I also put a book covered with rubberized shelf paper under my IKEA Lazy Susan (or cheapo $15 Wilton trim n'turn plus) and it turns into a tilting turntable.

tsal Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 8:25pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks! I will look into the Wilton turntable.

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 8:53pm
post #12 of 12

I have the PME tilting turntable and it is excellent. (fingers crossed) so far never had a slide and have had some big cakes on there for piping. It has an anti slip built in top to it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%