Very Distressed.

Decorating By Claire138 Updated 31 Oct 2011 , 10:45pm by JanH

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 9

I just want a bit of a moan here so whoever is listening (reading) thanks! So, someone calls me for a cake & cupcakes to be picked up on thursday. I decorate on wednesday and leave it to set to be ready for thursday. Thursday afternoon they call that they will come on friday. I hadn't made the cup cakes yet so that was good - I made them early friday morning. Friday afternoon arrives and yes, another phone call...... we will come saturday eve or sunday morning!
I am so upset about this........ 3 days late? hello? I have no idea how the cup cakes will be after this and hope that the cake will not have dried out. I know it should be fine as it is covered in ganache and fondant but I'm still distraught. I am trying to get this of the ground & feel that this could really look bad even though it's not my fault.
Thanks for listening!

8 replies
jdelaney81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelaney81 Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 9

If they call again, for any reason, I would make it a point to tell them that these cakes have been ready for pick up since (instert day here). Even if they don't call again, I would tell them. (I tend to get a bit snarky icon_wink.gif at times) But this would leave it as their fault if, for whatever reason, they decide to compain (Although, the cakes will be fine, I am sure)

Just my 2 cents! Hope all goes well!

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 9

I'm going to take a wild guess and assume you haven't even paid for them, right?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 2:37am
post #4 of 9

When they come to collect the order, get the $ first and then tell them that you can't guarantee the quality of the product, as it was a custom order and has now been sitting around for X days.

When they balk, remind them that it was THEIR delay and walk away.

Don't accept any guff, don't return the $, and don't work with them again.

Rae

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 2:58am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

When they come to collect the order, get the $ first and then tell them that you can't guarantee the quality of the product, as it was a custom order and has now been sitting around for X days.

When they balk, remind them that it was THEIR delay and walk away.

Don't accept any guff, don't return the $, and don't work with them again.

Rae

YUP! icon_rolleyes.gif

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 7:37am
post #6 of 9

Thanks for your responses. I tried to call them last night with no luck. I then get a text after 10pm saying they will come on sunday about 10 am. I sent back a text saying that I will be leaving for the day at 11. I don't understand people, why would you order a cake and then take half a week to pick it up? Rae, I will definitely tell them what you suggest. I'm so nervous, I just want it picked up already.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 8:04am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire138

Thanks for your responses. I tried to call them last night with no luck. I then get a text after 10pm saying they will come on sunday about 10 am. I sent back a text saying that I will be leaving for the day at 11. I don't understand people, why would you order a cake and then take half a week to pick it up? Rae, I will definitely tell them what you suggest. I'm so nervous, I just want it picked up already.

Either they haven't paid you a cent and that's why they're doing this or they are stupidly rich and just don't care. I'm assuming it's that they haven't paid. You need to get full payment before you invest any time into making a cake otherwise you'll just keep getting burned by people like this.

rara1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rara1975 Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 1:17pm
post #8 of 9

I seriously hope you have been paid - doesnt sound positive to me at all I'm afraid! I definately agree with Rae, and thats exactly how I would be playing it.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 10:45pm
post #9 of 9

You're getting the run around because it appears that your customer had nothing to lose.

In the future, a 50% down payment on booking with either the balance being paid 1-2 weeks before pick-up, or cash upon pick-up (or some such) will insure that the customer ALSO has something invested in this order.

In addition, a written pick-up policy which stipulates that orders not picked up within 30 minutes (or other specific time period) will either NOT be held or will be subject to late fees, puts the customer on notice that wasting YOUR time has consequences - it's EXPENSIVE.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%