Not Sure Where To Post This~~~Fondant Issue

Decorating By Jeepgirl73 Updated 7 Nov 2011 , 5:32pm by Jeepgirl73

Jeepgirl73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeepgirl73 Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all , new here icon_smile.gif

I wanted to know if anyone else is having an issue with Virgin Ice from Bulk Barn ? I have been decorating cakes for about 3 years and took a little hiatus this summer. Well I had a wedding cake in September and my daughters birthday cake this weekend and tried to fondant the cakes to just have the fondant tear away. I have never had such issues before. Immediately the fondant has been ripping as soon as I try to cover the cake. I know if you roll too thick or if it's dry it can tear but i roll to about 1/4 inch and haven't been adding anything and using a silicone mat. Am I just out of practice or has something changed with their fondant?

Thanks
Sara

3 replies
JennTheCakeLadie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennTheCakeLadie Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 4

Our wonderful government has ordered that Trans Fat be taken out of everything. For most things, it's not a problem, but for frosting and fondant it is. I had a bucket of Fondx, which I have been using for years, and the fondant melted from the inside out. The fondant companies are all struggling with the new rules. My guess is you've gotten the new stuff without trans fat, so it's not working like it used too.

Jeepgirl73 Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 4

Wow, well that isn't good news
Thanks for the answer though icon_smile.gif

Jeepgirl73 Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 4

whooops double post..

I did notice my buttercream when I used crisco instead of butter ...tasted different and wouldn't crust. Must be the same reason ?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%