3 Layers, Still Need Support?

Decorating By dukeswalker Updated 31 Oct 2011 , 3:12am by BlakesCakes

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 9

I'm making a witch's cauldron cake and I would like to only use 3 layers of cake....Do I still need to add in supports for the top layer?
TIA

8 replies
VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 9

I've done a few three layer cakes and haven't had to use support. If I had multiple tiers, I would of course.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 6:32pm
post #3 of 9

As a general rule, supports are suppose to be used for every 4" of cake height. If not using supports, I'd at least use a few bamboo skewers to help prevent the layers from shifting when the cake is moved.

JennTheCakeLadie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennTheCakeLadie Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 6:58pm
post #4 of 9

I made a pot of gold using several layers of cake, without extra support. I didn't have any problems, unless you plan on making the top decoration heavy, you should be ok.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 2:40am
post #5 of 9

I support every 4" of cake--no matter what--and I support any heavy toppers/decos.

I can't see going to all of that work only to have it crumble for the lack of a cake board and a few bubble tea straws.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Rae

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 2:22am
post #6 of 9

Thats what I am thinking Rae...It just seems silly to have one layer on its on cake board...then some will only get a single layer piece of cake...but I guess on Halloween we could use a little LESS sugar, right? icon_smile.gif

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 2:35am
post #7 of 9

All of my cakes are 3 layers per tier, which puts them around 5" tall. For a single tier I do not add supports and have never had a problem.

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 3:03am
post #8 of 9

My cakes are 4 layers and about 4 1/2 " to 5 " tall. As with cupadeecakes and others I do not add support. and have never had a problem with transport or stability.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 3:12am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeswalker

Thats what I am thinking Rae...It just seems silly to have one layer on its on cake board...then some will only get a single layer piece of cake...but I guess on Halloween we could use a little LESS sugar, right? icon_smile.gif

You can split the cake layers so that you have 2, 3" tall layers. That way, everyone gets a little extra filling and all the cake slices are the same size.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%