Cascading Fresh Dendrobium Orchids On A Tiered Fondant Cake

Decorating By karukaru Updated 28 Oct 2011 , 10:03pm by karukaru

karukaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karukaru Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 4

Hello,
I need to make a 3 tiered cake and I was wondering how to place them on the cake. I called the wholesale place where my friend (the groom) got them from and they said they weren't organing but that they certify that they do not have any harmful chemicals. How do I attach them with the cascading effect on the cake. I bought the wilton flower spikes but I am afraid it won't hold them well because the spikes are kind of thick. I also read that some people put straws with a folded end so that the water doesn't leak into the cake. How do they stay in place? Any advice would be appreciated. thanks!

3 replies
karukaru Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 4

Anyone?

JennTheCakeLadie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennTheCakeLadie Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 4

I've used the flower spikes on a cascading cake. If the flowers don't hold their place, try stuffing something in with the flower pick. Typically, I don't have a problem because I put more than one flower in each pick. Too many picks will make the cake unstable. Be very careful that you don't overfill the picks with water. It's VERY easy to do, and you don't want water dripping down the side of your beautifully decorated cake. I recommend an eyedropper. Hope this helps?

karukaru Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 10:03pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheCakeLadie

I've used the flower spikes on a cascading cake. If the flowers don't hold their place, try stuffing something in with the flower pick. Typically, I don't have a problem because I put more than one flower in each pick. Too many picks will make the cake unstable. Be very careful that you don't overfill the picks with water. It's VERY easy to do, and you don't want water dripping down the side of your beautifully decorated cake. I recommend an eyedropper. Hope this helps?

Thanks! Can you tell me how many picks do you insert per tier? Also, do you insert it at a 45 degree angle? Should I do it at the venue or right before I deliver the cake? Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%