Help! How To I Paint Gum Paste?

Decorating By diggs-jen Updated 28 Oct 2011 , 3:44am by SweetcakesCT

diggs-jen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diggs-jen Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 2:24am
post #1 of 4

i am just starting out making cakes and was wondering how to paint gum paste. I have gel food coloring and luster dust. I know you add vodka to it but how much? everytime i try it, it turns out too runny or too thick... is there a secret? could i also use non toxic water color if it is part of a decoration that no one would even consider eating?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

3 replies
cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 3:23am
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggs-jen

i am just starting out making cakes and was wondering how to paint gum paste. I have gel food coloring and luster dust. I know you add vodka to it but how much? everytime i try it, it turns out too runny or too thick... is there a secret? could i also use non toxic water color if it is part of a decoration that no one would even consider eating?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

As far as getting the right consistency when adding vodka, there isn't a "trick"--add a little bit at a time until you get it to the right amount.

I would never, ever consider using a non-toxic water color, because someone may try to eat a decoration that you would think no one would ever try to eat. (You'd be suprised what people will eat!)

Vista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vista Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 3:31am
post #3 of 4

I paint my cakes all the time with airbrush colors and a paint brush. It is very runny, so I just make sure that I have a very small amount on my paint brush. I have not had any problems.

SweetcakesCT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetcakesCT Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 3:44am
post #4 of 4

I've found that putting my lemon extract or vodka into a squeeze bottle (like the kind they sell in the candy decorating aisle at Michael's) helps me control the liquid better so I don't put too much into my food coloring. Also, I've found that with the gel coloring like Wilton's, I add very little liquid at a time, or else the gel doesn't mix well with the liquid. Americolor works much better for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%