Petit Fours/fondant Fancies

Baking By cakepassion2010 Updated 27 Oct 2011 , 11:34am by MCurry

cakepassion2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakepassion2010 Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 2:16am
post #1 of 9

Hi,
Iam planning on making petit fours for my daughter's schools bake and sale. Now this will be my first time to make petit fours. Today I tried making few as trial but they did not come out right. I used readymade fondant with water and heated it in microwave. The consistency seemed right but its not setting on the cake properly. Its transparent and sticky and not drying even after half an hour passed. Iam not sure if I should have covered the cake pieces with anything. I brushed it with sugar syrup. I need help from all of the experienced bakers, please give me some helpful advice as to what is the correct way of making the icing? Where did I go wrong?
Thanks.

8 replies
MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 2:36am
post #2 of 9

It's the fondant you used. There is a pouring fondant that can be melted over a water bath and poured on petit fours. You should check here or online for a an actual "pouring fondant" recipe to use. Martha Stewart has one as well as Wilton.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakepassion2010 Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 3:15am
post #4 of 9

Thanks. I checked Martha Stewart and Wiltons recipe. Do I need to cover the top of the cake with Marzipan or any other thing other than sugar syrup? Why is the cake absorbing the syrup?

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 3:42am
post #5 of 9

Peggy Porschen has them in every one of her books. Sometimes she uses the pouring fondant Mcurry is talking about. Some others, she does use ready made fondant but it's not melted with water on the microwave. I have not tried which one of these works better, but maybe do a test. There are a few very different recipes on the second link (in one of the comments). Marzipan ensures you get a very flat top, but it's not necessary.

http://www.cakedecoratingtips.writetopics.com/poured-fondant-recipe-for-cakes-and-petit-fours.html

http://www.planetcaketeaparty.com.au/forum-view.php?id=564

MCurry Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 3:54am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakepassion2010

Thanks. I checked Martha Stewart and Wiltons recipe. Do I need to cover the top of the cake with Marzipan or any other thing other than sugar syrup? Why is the cake absorbing the syrup?

It is common to use a thin layer of marzipan on the top of the petit four before pouring the fondant. However, it is not necessary. It does add another level of flavor but keep in mind it has nuts for those who have allergies.

As far as your cake absorbing the sugar syrup, it depends on what type of cake you used. A genoise or sponge cake would have been used which pretty much needs sugar syrup to moisten the cake.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 4:07am
post #7 of 9
cakepassion2010 Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 5:36am
post #8 of 9

Thanks all of you. I checked all the links. Iam still confused about typing the cake with bc our any other thing is essential? Every recipe has different way of covering the cake. Is it ok to spread sugar syrup only before c covering it with potted fondant?

MCurry Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 11:34am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakepassion2010

Thanks all of you. I checked all the links. Iam still confused about typing the cake with bc our any other thing is essential? Every recipe has different way of covering the cake. Is it ok to spread sugar syrup only before c covering it with potted fondant?

Depending on the type of cake you bake you may not need sugar syrup. If you are using boxed cake or a non-sponge cake you may not need it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%