Candy Thermometers

Sugar Work By Franluvsfrosting Updated 23 Oct 2011 , 12:18am by Franluvsfrosting

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 4:22am
post #1 of 5

I did a search and couldn't find anything so I'm going to post and ask. I've been through about 800,000,000,000 glass candy thermometers and I'm pretty sick of replacing them!

Does anyone have an opinion on a REALLY good candy thermometer? At this point I'd prefer digital but if you've found an amazing glass one that has stood up to some abuse I'm willing to listen. I'm just really sick of replacing these things or finding right when I need it that I have another cracked one! I know I can do the ball test (I'm quite good at it by now!) it's just easier to have that thermometer and it's extremely helpful when I'm teaching one of my kids. Yes, they're learning the glass of cold water method too but can you help a girl out?

4 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 4:33am
post #2 of 5

I too have had a long hate relationship with thermometers. After a few digitals, every single one out of calibration, I decided to watch Food Network and look closely at what the big chefs were using. It was overwhelmingly the Taylor glass thermometer in the metal casing with the clip and the design that keeps it off the bottom. They are $20.00. BB&B has them.

Since this thermometer, I will never change. If a glass thermometer is out of calibration, it will be the same amount, as the glass just slipped in the casing. For digitals, they are randomly out of calibration.

Franluvsfrosting Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 4:46am
post #3 of 5

I appreciate your reply and would love to look into that. Do you have any idea what the exact name is? I googled a little bit but I can't figure out exactly which thermometer you're referring to. Thank you so much!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 5:01am
post #4 of 5

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004XSC9/?tag=cakecentral-20

I'ts much cheaper here, but this is the one.

Franluvsfrosting Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 12:18am
post #5 of 5

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%