How Do I Get A Rusty Red Color?

Decorating By SweetSouthernBakery Updated 23 Oct 2011 , 3:54am by SweetSouthernBakery

SweetSouthernBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSouthernBakery Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 2:17am
post #1 of 6

I have a wedding cake and grooms cake for tomorrow and I thought I had the hard part done (the wedding cake) and now it's time to start on the grooms cake. Well now I run into the real hard part, the actual wedding cake was a piece of cake icon_biggrin.gif and now I need to know how to make a rusty red color. Any ideas? TIA

5 replies
Tracey2528 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracey2528 Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 2:36am
post #2 of 6

Start out with a true red color and then gradually add brown until you get the color you want.

SweetDreams_DK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreams_DK Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 2:37am
post #3 of 6

Well, rust is sort of orange, and sort of brown. I did a lobster in a copper pot once (http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2042453). I wrapped the pot with modeling chocolate that I colored with powdered "flesh" color. If you use a lot of it, it's a rust color. After I wrapped it, I airbrushed it with a copper luster dust mixed in vodka.

Is that close to what you're looking for?

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 2:37am
post #4 of 6

red, brown and a little orange ought to do it. Those are the colors I used to make St. Basils Cathedral/ Kremlin. Play around with those three colors hth

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 2:41am
post #5 of 6
SweetSouthernBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSouthernBakery Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 3:54am
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone for the help. It turns out the orange, red and brown works. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%